Jul 3, 2013

"Eve of Destruction" by Patrick Carman


Title: Eve of Destruction

Author: Patrick Carman

Series: Dark Eden, #2


My rating: 3 of 5


(Book read from June 26th to July 2nd, 2013.)


Summary:


 
Will Besting and the other teens whose phobias were "cured" at Fort Eden have been summoned back by Mrs. Goring. Her dying wish is to see them together one last time. Or is it?

Ensnared in a dangerous, ever-deepening mystery, Will must lead his friends through a perilous underground trap masterminded by two devious souls at war with each other. It's a game of cat and mouse, and not everyone will be alive when it's over. Can Will outwit both Rainsford and Goring, ending their reign of fear forever?

Patrick Carman's "Dark Eden: Eve of Destruction" offers a harrowing journey into the depths of fear, love, revenge, and - ultimately - redemption.
 



My Thoughts on the Book:


 
Eve of Destruction is the sequel of Dark Eden - a book that I loved. At the time, I didn't realise there will be a sequel, I thought it's a stand alone, and I was happy with the ending. But, when I found out about this sequel, I was excited, and looking forward to it.

But then, I didn't read it right away, then I read some mixed reviews & that isn't as good as Dark Eden, so I became a little bit reluctant to read it, and my postponing process started all over again :)

But, a few weeks ago I read the novella Phantom File, which revealed a lot about the mystery of Rainsford, so I got excited again & decided to finally read it :)

And what did I thought about it? Overall, I liked it & I enjoyed it, it was nice enough read. But, I can see why people were disappointed. You can't do almost the same thing & expect to work as good as it did the 1st time. 

I quickly realised how this book will end, so there wasn't any challenge. I did like a lot the ending (although I was right how it will end), but I loved the execution, the pacing picked up a little, and it was a little bit exciting & suspenseful, so the author did a good job with that. The eeriness in the atmosphere from Dark Eden was still present in this book, but it didn't have the same effect, because as I said, it was too predictable, but I'm still glad that I read it.

If you've read & enjoyed Dark Eden, give this one a shot. It might not be as good, but it's still pretty good (and different) ending for the Dark Eden "gang" than the one they met with in Dark Eden. Also, be sure to read the novella Phantom File, too, if you're interested in learning more about Rainsford.

I'm glad that I finally decided to read Eve of Destruction, because I'm happy with the ending of the duology. So, if you enjoy mysteries, this is a nice one, and you might want to check it out :)  



Challenges:


0 comments:

Post a Comment