Jul 2, 2013

"Eleanor & Park" by Rainbow Rowell


Title: Eleanor & Park

Author: Rainbow Rowell

Published: April 12th, 2012


My rating: 5 of 5


(Book read from June 4th to June 9th, 2013, for a read-along.)


Summary:



"Bono met his wife in high school," Park says.
"So did Jerry Lee Lewis," Eleanor answers.
"I’m not kidding," he says.
"You should be," she says, "we’re sixteen."
"What about Romeo and Juliet?"
"Shallow, confused, then dead."
''I love you," Park says.
"Wherefore art thou," Eleanor answers.
"I’m not kidding," he says.
"You should be."

Set over the course of one school year in 1986, ELEANOR AND PARK is the story of two star-crossed misfits – smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try. When Eleanor meets Park, you’ll remember your own first love – and just how hard it pulled you under.
 



My Thoughts on the Book:



Eleanor & Park is a beautiful YA contemporary novel set in the 1980s about first love.

I absolutely loved this story. From the moment I started it, I was hooked, and I barely managed not to read it right away, but in the end I caved ;) We meet Eleanor & Park, two troubled teens that slowly & unexpectedly become friends & then fall in love.

I seriously have no idea how to review this book without including any spoilers, but I'll try.

Eleanor is weird & shy, but also fun & really lovable. You can't help but love her as a character. She has been through a lot (and is still going through a lot), so my heart was breaking for her again & again. But, after she met & got close to Park, she was finally becoming happy.

Park was such a sweet & adorable character. He made me laugh & smile, and I loved him as a character, too. 

Both Eleanor & Park were great characters, and I loved seeing first friendship, and later love develop between them. It was so sweet & adorable, and I loved every second of it.

But, it wasn't all smiles & happiness, this book was also heartbreaking & so, so sad.

I also loved the ending, it was perfect!

As for Rainbow Rowell's writing, it was amazing. It will transport you in a different time, and make you fall in love with her story & her characters, and I'm already looking forward to reading more of her books.

Eleanor & Park is a delightful story, that I know I'll enjoy reading again, so it's now one of my favs, and I highly recommend it!    
 


Challenges:


3 comments:

  1. I liked this book too.. can wait to read more of Rowell's work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! I'm hoping to read Attachments soon :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Aleksandra, I just noticed this review and wondered if you would like to link it in to the current monthly collection of books that people loved on Carole's Chatter. This is the link There are already over 25 great books linked in that you might be interested in. It would be super if you came on over. Cheers

    ReplyDelete