Jul 31, 2013

"The Gray Wolf Throne" by Cinda Williams Chima


Title: The Gray Wolf Throne

Author: Cinda Williams Chima

Series: Seven Realms, #3


My rating: 4.5 of 5


(Book read from July 7th to July 9th, 2013.)


Summary:



Han Alister thought he had already lost everyone he loved. But when he finds his friend Rebecca Morley near death in the Spirit Mountains, Han knows that nothing matters more than saving her. The costs of his efforts are steep, but nothing can prepare him for what he soon discovers: the beautiful, mysterious girl he knew as Rebecca is none other than Raisa ana’Marianna, heir to the Queendom of the Fells. Han is hurt and betrayed. He knows he has no future with a blueblood. And, as far as he’s concerned, the princess’s family as good as killed his own mother and sister. But if Han is to fulfill his end of an old bargain, he must do everything in his power to see Raisa crowned queen.

Meanwhile, some people will stop at nothing to prevent Raisa from ascending. With each attempt on her life, she wonders how long it will be before her enemies succeed. Her heart tells her that the thief-turned-wizard Han Alister can be trusted. She wants to believe it - he’s saved her life more than once. But with danger coming at her from every direction, Raisa can only rely on her wits and her iron-hard will to survive - and even that might not be enough.
 
The Gray Wolf Throne is an epic tale of fierce loyalty, unbearable sacrifice, and the heartless hand of fate.  
 



My Thoughts on the Book:



The Gray Wolf Throne is the 3rd book in Cinda Williams Chima's Seven Realms series. Despite having already reviewed the last book The Crimson Crown, I just realised I haven't reviewed this one, despite having read them both one after the other, so here it is ;)

And what did I think about this book? Looking back on the other 3 books on the series, I guess I can say this is the one book I loved the least, because I rated it 4.5 of 5, and all the other books in the series I gave a 5 rating, but it comes to tiny details, and I still thoroughly enjoyed & loved this book, and it's a great sequel to quite an amazing series.

I loved that we got to learn who exactly Crow is quite early in the book, and I was looking forward to more scenes with him, but unfortunately I ended disappointed. We actually got that in The Crimson Crown, but it was amazing when we did :)

From the beginning of the book I was turning the pages anxiously, dying for the moment when Han & Raisa will meet again, and I was dying to find out how & why exactly he will save her. The waiting was worth it, it was delivered amazingly, it was suspenseful & heartbreaking, and so, so sad, and what Han did for Raisa, wow. I really, really love Han as a character.
 
After that, all the secrets were revealed between them (at least almost all), and now Raisa had to fight for her right to rule the Queendom. 

I absolutely loved the way & the magic Han & Fire Dancer came up with for her return, it was absolutely brilliant, and amazing, and oh, so magical.

After that, most of the book was filled with politics, so I got disappointed about this a little, too. I should've expect it, and although I enjoyed reading how Han navigates through it all, and I loved his brilliance & determination to get his heart's desire, after being appointed for the head of not-mentioning-what, I was looking forward to that, too, but of course that was left for The Crimson Crown, too.

The ending was quite fitting for the end of this book, and of course I jumped right into its sequel The Crimson Crown.

The writing style & the world-building was once again amazing, and although I would've preferred the pacing to be a tiny bit faster, it was just because of my preferrences. It's just that I'm just not as big of fan of politics, even in epic fantasy, and despite me knowing that all of this was necessary, and add to that the few disappointments I had for things that I didn't got to see in this book even though I really wanted to (but were present in its sequel), made me not to love this book as much as I loved the other 3 books in the series, but as I said, it was still a great sequel that I loved, and that will only make you love the characters (both main & secondary) more.

The Seven Realms series is one of my top favorite series ever, and I can't recommend it enough. It's a must-read for every fantasy lover!!!
 
   
 

Challenges:

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment