Jul 10, 2013

"Chain Reaction" by Simone Elkeles

 
Title: Chain Reaction
 
Author: Simone Elkeles
 
Series: Perfect Chemistry, #3
 
 
My rating: 4 of 5
 
 
(Book read on July 7th, 2013.)
 
 

Summary:

  
 
Like his brothers, Luis Fuentes is a risk taker; whether he's scaling the Rocky Mountains or dreaming of a future as an astronaut, Luis is always looking for the next thrill.

Nikki Cruz lives her life by certain rules ― don't trust a boy who says "I love you", boys lie to get their own way and never date a boy from the south side of Fairfield. Then she meets Luis at his brother Alex's wedding and suddenly she's tempted to break all her rules.

Getting Nikki to give him a chance is Luis's biggest challenge, until he finds himself targeted by the head of the gang that nearly destroyed his brothers' lives. Will Luis's feelings for Nikki be enough to stop him from entering a dark and violent world that could prove to be the ultimate risk?
 


 

My Thoughts on the Book:

  
 
Chain Reaction is the last book in the Perfect Chemistry trilogy, featuring the last Fuentes brother, Luis. I was excited about reading this one, especially after starting it, because my expectations became bigger, because I loved Luis from the start & the first meeting between Luis & Nikki was absolutely hilarious. They meet at Alex's wedding, and the wedding was lots of fun, too. I loved seeing Alex, Carlos, Kiara & Brittany again!
 
After that, Nikki & Luis meet again after a little over 2 years later, when Luis moves back to Chicago. 
 
I have to admit that although I still enjoyed a lot this book, just wasn't as great as the previous 2 books in the series. But, I absolutely loved all the scenes with the rest of the Fuentes family.
 
As for the characters, as I said, at first I loved Luis, he's fun, really smart, he has this big dream & plan he wants to accomplish in his life, but then suddenly, after learning something (ok, it was a big thing, but still) he decides to throw it all away, just like that. I wanted to understand it, but it was just too big of a change for someone supposedly really smart. I'll say it, it was stupid. So, yeah, I liked him as a character, but that was all.
 
As for Nikki, I kinda liked her, too. I could understand her, she really goes through something sad & heartbreaking when she was only 15 (I'm talking about the consequences she was left with), but she tried to have some fun, despite staying away from boys.
 
As for the chemistry & the attraction between Luis & Nikki - that was absolutely there. But, to be honest, I just didn't feel the love. They were hiding so many secrets from each other through most of the book, and except for the great chemistry, I just didn't saw why exactly they had fallen in love.
 
The gang theme was bigger here, and I definitely didn't expect that revelation & that ending, but overall it was interesting, although I still think Luis acted stupid.
 
Also, I have to mention the epilogue. I loved the part with Luis Jr. It was hilarious, yet sweet, so I totally loved it :D It's actually one of my fav parts in the book, as well as all the scenes with the whole Fuentes family.
 
Chain Reaction is a great finale to this great trilogy, that wraps up everyone's stories quite nicely, and I can't recommend enough this trilogy to every fan of YA contemporary!
   


Challenges:


0 comments:

Post a Comment