Apr 30, 2013

"With All My Soul" by Rachel Vincent


Title: With All My Soul

Author: Rachel Vincent

Series: Soul Screamers, #7


My rating: 4 of 5


(Book read on April 29th, 2013, from my own copy)



Summary:

 What does it mean when your school is voted the most dangerous in America? 

It's time to kick some hellion butt...

After not really surviving her junior year (does "undead" count as survival?), Kaylee Cavanaugh has vowed to take back her school from the hellions causing all the trouble. She's going to find a way to turn the incarnations of Avarice, Envy and Vanity against one another in order to protect her friends and finish this war, once and forever.

But then she meets Wrath and understands that she's closer to the edge than she's ever been. And when one more person close to her is taken, Kaylee realizes she can't save everyone she loves without risking everything she has...




 

My Thoughts on the Book:

 
With All My Soul is the last book in the Soul Screamers series. I really wasn't ready to read this book, so I kept postponing reading it, because I was expecting an emotional roller coaster, and although I guessed (and expected) there will be a HEA for most of the characters, I was a little afraid what Rachel Vincent had in store for us, as well for Kaylee & the gang. 

But, I shouldn't have worried, I just should've read it the moment I got my hands on a copy. Why? Well, the reasons why I was afraid to read it it seems were unnecessary now. To be honest, With All My Soul was a little bit unexpected, but not in a *OMG that was so amazing* kind-a-way & definitely not in a bad way, just a little bit different. And although I absolutely wanted to fall in love with this book, and say that it was absolutely amazing, that just didn't happen for me. It was still pretty good read, some parts were amazing, some were great, but there were also some tiny things that I found a little bit irritating & annoying, but I still loved it, and it was a great ending for the series.

My most fav part about this book was definitely Tod. He still made me laugh & smile, you gotta love Tod. And his love for Kaylee is so amazing, and I loved the scenes between them. And yeah, now I absolutely love the title of this book - With All My Soul

But, as for Kaylee, unfortunately she irritated me a few times. I mean, yeah, I already knew she would do anything to save those she loves, and she never gives up, and usually I don't mind that, but how she went about all that here I found a little bit irritating & frustrating, so I started feeling that she didn't deserve Tod. It was unexpected, but that did happen to me a few times, although that feeling didn't stay with me until the end. I mean, I didn't mind when she told Nash about Tod & you know what, and I definitely didn't mind doing what she did at the end of the book, but I was definitely irritated when they were all fighting about who should do what, and blaming each other again & again. I don't know, after everything they've all been through, I think that mostly they should've gotten over all that, not forget, but definitely not throwing blame & flat-out fighting. I guess it's just me, but I was bothered by this, because I found it annoying, and it felt like same old, same old. And at first I liked that we got to see Em's sister & what happened to her, but I got irritated here, too, with Kaylee's decision to help & do you-know-what, and although she found a satisfying solution, I didn't agree with her and didn't like it. So, yeah, it was tiny details like those that I didn't like, but I guess the author decided it's time for lots of HEAs in this book after everything everyone has been through, and she did that while tying up loose ends & answering all the questions.

Some of the other things I loved in this book was the author's idea of soul mates. I thought that was really interesting, and it did answer something I was wondering about in If I Die

One of the biggest surprises that I loved in this book was Ira a.k.a the hellion of Wrath. I knew he will show up, and that he will probably play a vital role in the end, but what I was surprised about was how I felt about him. Although I found him terrifying at first, in the end I found him strangely compelling & interesting, and he was also funny, and he actually made me laugh, and I loved that he was actually a little bit different & definitely more powerful than Avari & I loved the way he irritated & enraged Avari. Yeah, that's what he does as a hellion, but I found it quite satisfying to do that to Avari, because he deserved that & a whole lot more. I never thought that I would love one of the hellions of the Netherworld as a character, but I actually did :) I just loved Ira as a character. Definitely surprising & unexpected, and a nice addition to the story.

Now, for the ending, I loved it. It was great, and the only way it could've ended. Kaylee's idea was so smart, and I loved the deals she made with both Ira & Avari, and the help Ira gave her when it came to Avari's deals. And in the end, I was happy with the ending & the way the book & the series ended.

As for the writing style, as always it was so good. When I started it, I couldn't put it down until I finished it. There was lots of action, some emotional scenes that got me teary-eyed, lots of romance, and plenty of suspense that will keep you turning the pages. This book was sweet, funny, sad & lots of fun. All of the characters I learned to love through the series in the end I still loved them, and I'm glad they all got their happily ever afters.

As for you, if you still haven't tried the Soul Screamers series, and you love books that will take you on an emotional roller coaster on a journey in one of the most terrifying worlds created in the YA a.k.a this Netherworld, and a world full of different creatures, then the Soul Screamers is a series for you, and I can't recommend it enough!


Challenges:


1 comment:

  1. Great review. Sounds like an awesome series. Can't wait to read from beginning to end, especially now that the series ended and i don't have to wait for another installment.

    ReplyDelete