Apr 30, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Words/Topics That Instantly Make Me Buy/Pick Up A Book!

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists.
Each week we will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.


So, My Top Ten Words/Topics That Instantly Make Me Buy/Pick Up A Book (in no particular order) are:


#1 - Magic

I'm thinking about any type of magic, no matter if it's with witches & wizards, some magical powers & abilities, magical world, demon magic, magical creatures, magical buldings, etc. Anything you can think of, as long as it's magical in some way, I'd be interested to check it out.


#2 - Chefs/Restaurants

Here I'm thinking about fiction books (not cookbooks) with characters that are chefs, bakers or something similar or characters that work at restaurants, bakeries, etc. It doesn't matter, as long as the setting is at place where there's food & cooking. These are usually contemporary romances or cozy mysteries, but it doesn't matter, the moment I read it has a cooking related theme, I want to read it. The same goes with movies, I love movies like that ever since I can remember, so I guess my love for movies with cooking has transferred to books, too :)    


#3 - Adventure Thrillers/Adventures

I'm sold when I see the word adventure. Especially if it's adventure thriller with excavations, or some ancient civilazitions, or something similar. You know, something like Indiana Jones & The Mummy movies, and I love reading books like that. But, it can be any type of adventure, even in another magical world, or a treasure hunt, or anything you can think of. As long as it take me on an adventure ;)


#4 - Fairy Tales/Fairy Tales Re-tellings/Re-tellings

I absolutely love fairy-tale-like books, as well as fairy tale re-tellings, so anything fairy tale related works for me, as well as re-tellings of the classics
 

#5 - Unique Setting/Unique World

Anything you can think of, and in any genre, as long as it has some uniquness compared to the real world. It can be some magical realm, some epic fantasy world, some alternate dimension, unique afterlife, unique magical (moving) castle, house or circus, steampunk world, unique society, just about anything.
 

#6 - Apocalypse/Post-Apocalypse/Zombies

I love apocalyptic & post-apocalyptic books, as well as zombie books. Often they're the same, but not always. I love when there's an apocalypse with different kind of twist: like Laura Bickle's The Hallowed Ones or Alexander Gordon Smith's The Fury or Jeyn Roberts' Dark Inside or even Kresley Cole's Arcana Chronicles. I also love when I meet zombies in another genre, like steampunk or space opera.
 

#7 - Misic & Other Arts

I love fiction books where the characters listen to lots of music (where songs are mentioned), as well as books about music bands or guitar players, or any other instruments. Also, any other art, no matter if it's poets or writers or musicals or graffiti artists, anything art related.
  

#8 - Road Trips

It can be a road trip around the country, or a trip in another country or around Europe or USA, anywhere. As long as the characters travel a lot & meet new people, I'm in ;)
 

#9 - Geeks/Nerds

Anything geek/nerd related. It can be a character, or about video games, or even books, but in such a way that it's geeky/nerdy ;)
 

#10 - Ghosts/Demons/Monsters

Anything with ghosts (no matter if they're good or bad) or unique afterlife/ghostly world, or UF with ghosts or demons or any type of monsters.


What about you? 

Leave me your TTT links!

14 comments:

  1. high fives for unique things!! :) Also everything with magic is more than welcome! :) I forgot music on my list...dammit! Great list :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also like Retellings and Post-apocalypse books.
    Here is My Top 10 Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok so yes to magic and chefs/restorans (any cooking related theme works for me too). And yes to adventures and fairy tale retellings and unique worlds and post-apocalyptic and road trips and demons/monsters. And I have geeks/nerds on my list. I could basically add note on my website that for another ten things that works for me people come and read your list.
    This is spooky. :D
    Thanks for stopping by my TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems we have really similar tastes :) I pretty much loved everything on your list, too :)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. I love road trips, especially post-apocalyptic road trips. Have you read Justin Cronin's books?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I still haven't. I blame it on the size, probably one of the biggest reasons I keep postponing reading them.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Awesome choices! Those are definitely good reasons to pick up a good

    ReplyDelete
  6. I almost picked Demons/Angels/Paranormal Creatures too! But they were so many topics I wanted to include I think I just forgot... lol!
    Great list!

    Thanks for stopping by!
    Kar @ Pause Time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, there were some that I forgot, too :) I actually love books with demons, but no so much with angels, weird, right?

      Thanks for visiting back :)

      Delete
  7. Oh God, I actually love, I think, ALL of those you've mentioned! The only exception might be #3. I like Adventures, but more in movies and manga than in books. I don't know.

    Anyways, great list!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for you loving almost all of these, too :)

      And thanks for stopping by, Patricia!

      Delete