Feb 13, 2012

"My Soul to Take" by Rachel Vincent

Title: My Soul to Take

Series: Soul Screamers #1

Author: Rachel Vincent

(read from January 20th to January 21st, 2012)

My rating: 4.5 of 5


Summary: 

She doesn't see dead people, but...
She senses when someone near her is about to die. And when that happens, a force beyond her control compels her to scream bloody murder. Literally.
Kaylee just wants to enjoy having caught the attention of the hottest guy in school. But a normal date is hard to come by when Nash seems to know more about her need to scream than she does. And when classmates start dropping dead for no apparent reason, only Kaylee knows who'll be next.

 
My Thoughts on the Book:

My Soul to Take is the first book in the Soul Screamers series. This is the first time I'm reading the series & after reading & loved the prequel My Soul to Lose I started reading this one the next day & I wasn't disapponted. It was a great book & I loved it & I already can't wait to read My Soul to Save. A warning, there will probably be some spoilers, so if you haven't read this one, don't continue reading this review. The only thing I knew about this series before starting it was that Kaylee is a banshee, nothing else. And I also thought that I won't like Nash, don't know why, so I was surprised how much I liked him. He was a great character, even sweet the way he calmed Kaylee & I liked them as a couple. Kaylee I already liked as a character from the prequel, but now I like her even more - the same goes for Emma. Now on the story & lots of spoilers - although I loved every second of it, I have to admit that I guessed what will happen almost every time, so I wasn't surprised, (that's probably why I gave it 4.5 rating instead of 5) except for only one time - who the bad one was in the end. That one didn't expect, although I should've. I really liked all that banshee "business" - how the girl banshee can hold the soul & how the guy banshee can calm her & return the soul to the body. I loved that & yeah, I guessed what happened to Kaylee's mom early in the book. Next - Tod. So, Tod is a reaper, & he's such a interesting character. I also found quite interesting the reaper business :) I guessed right away that Tod was Nash's brother - they just had that brotherly banter between them & I enjoyed that & although I knew he used to be a banshee before he died, I didn't expect he can still do that even when he's a reaper, so that's the other small surprise in the book :) And, I really liked him as a character, too, and I definitely want to know more about him. I know that everyone asks who do you prefer - Tod or Nash - but for now I like them both & I usually don't get easily attached to the characters or get crushes on them, so we will see if I start to ;) As in the prequel, I loved the writing style - it was fun, yet a little creepy (in a good way - not freaked me out creepy) & definitely suspenseful, even knowing what will happen. So, I'm already a fan of the series & I can't wait to read My Soul to Save & if you haven't tried the series, I highly recommend it!!!  


Challenges:
 

100+ Books In A Year Reading Challenge 2012

2012 YA Mythology Challenge

ABC Challenge 2012

0 comments:

Post a Comment