Aug 29, 2010

#149 - "Good Omens" by Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchett


Summary:
According to the Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter -the world's only "totally reliable" guide to the future - the world will end on a Saturday.

Next Saturday, in fact.
Just after tea.
Which means that Armageddon will happen on a Saturday night.
There will be seas of fire, rains of fish, the moon turning to blood and the massed armies of Heaven and Hell will sort it outonce and for all.

Which is a major problem for Crowley, Hell's most approachable demon and former serpent, and his opposite number and old friend Aziraphale, genuine angel and Soho bookshop owner. They like it down here (or, in Crowley's case, up here).

So they've got no alternative but to stop the Four Motorcyclists of the Apocalypse, defeat the marching ranks of the Witchfinder's army* and - somehow - stop it all happening.

Above all (or, in Aziraphale's case, below all) they need to find and kill the Antichrist, currently the most powerful creature on Earth.

This is a shame.
Because he's eleven years old, loves his dog even though it's really a Satanic hellhound under all that hair, really cares about the environment and is the sort of boy anyone would be proud to have as a son. He's also totally invulnerable, and a nice kid.

And if that isn't enough, they've still got Sunday to deal with. . .

* All two of them.
 
My rating: 5/5 

My thoughts on the book:
I have one word for it: hilarious!!! I'm already big fan of Neil Gaiman's books, but I hadn't read this one until now. I've wanted to start Terry Pratchett's Discworld series for a long time, but hadn't got around to it, so this is his first book I've read, and all I can say is, can't wait to read more of him! It's really fun & humorous book! If you love british humour and you still haven't read Good Omens, I highly recommend it!
 
Challenges:

2 comments:

  1. I love this book! Gaiman and Pratchett combined makes for almost perfect writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed, I also love that you can see whose hand dipped into which parts of the story XD

    ReplyDelete