Aug 3, 2010

#143 - "The Demon King" by Cinda Williams Chima


Summary:
Times are hard in the mountain city of Fellsmarch. Reformed thief Han Alister will do almost anything to eke out a living for himself, his mother, and his sister Mari. Ironically, the only thing of value he has is something he can't sell. For as long as Han can remember, he's worn thick silver cuffs engraved with runes. They're clearly magicked-as he grows, they grow, and he's never been able to get them off.

While out hunting one day, Han and his Clan friend, Dancer catch three young wizards setting fire to the sacred mountain of Hanalea. After a confrontation, Han takes an amulet from Micah Bayar, son of the High Wizard, to ensure the boy won't use it against them. Han soon learns that the amulet has an evil history-it once belonged to the Demon King, the wizard who nearly destroyed the world a millennium ago. With a magical piece that powerful at stake, Han knows that the Bayars will stop at nothing to get it back.

Meanwhile, Raisa ana'Helena, Princess Heir of the Fells, has her own battles to fight. She's just returned to court after three years of relative freedom with her father's family at Demonai camp - riding, hunting, and working the famous Clan markets. Although Raisa will become eligible for marriage after her sixteenth name-day, she isn't looking forward to trading in her common sense and new skills for etiquette tutors and stuffy parties.

Raisa wants to be more than an ornament in a glittering cage. She aspires to be like Hanalea-the legendary warrior queen who killed the Demon King and saved the world. But it seems like her mother has other plans for her--plans that include a suitor who goes against everything the Queendom stands for. 

My rating: 5/5

My thoughts on the book:
First of all, I have to say that now I'm a big fan of Cinda Williams Chima! I've been meaning to read her Heir Chronicles these last few years and I finally read them last month & I loved them! If you still haven't read them, you should! Also, although I love those 3 books, I love The Demon King even more! This is the first book in her new series The Seven Realms & now I can't wait for the sequel! I loved everything about it: the story, the characters, the pace, the world she created...everything! I've already chosen my top 3 favorite books I read this year & now this one is in my top 3, with Ender's Game & Anansi Boys... Actually, they all share the first place ;) If you're fan of fantasy, than The Demon King is a must-read & I can't recommend it enough!

Challenges:

1 comment:

  1. I just started listening to this audiobook! Thanks for the review! And thanks for stopping by my teaser today :)

    ReplyDelete