Oct 24, 2010

#185 - "Persuasion" by Jane Austen


Summary:
Anne Elliot seems to have given up on present happiness and has resigned herself to living off her memories. More than seven years earlier she complied with duty: persuaded to view the match as imprudent and improper, she broke off her engagement to a naval captain with neither fortune, ancestry, nor prospects. However, when peacetime arrives and brings the Navy home, and Anne encounters Captain Wentworth once more, she starts to believe in second chances. Persuasion celebrates romantic constancy in an era of turbulent change. Written as the Napoleonic Wars were ending, the novel examines how a woman can at once remain faithful to her past and still move forward into the future.
 
My rating: 5 of 5
 
My thoughts on the book:
Finally I read Persuasion. I've picked it up so many times through the years, but never read more than a few pages before I've put it aside each time because I wasn't in the mood... This time I read it & I loved it! I actually love it as much as Pride and Prejudice! It was really fast read, fun & sweet & although I already knew the story (who hasn't seen the movies) I still couldn't put it down! Now it's one of my favorites & I highly recommend it!

Challenges:

2 comments:

  1. I started reading alot of these books. Actually listening to them While I do my daily 3 mile walk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked Persuasion but for me Pride & Prejudice is still the best of Jane Austen's books. :-)

    ReplyDelete