Jun 4, 2010

Book Beginnings on Friday #6

 
Book Beginnings on Friday is a meme hosted by Becky at Page Turners. Anyone can participate; just share the opening sentence of your current read, making sure that you include the title and author so others know what you're reading. If you like, share with everyone why you do, or do not, like the sentence.

Join this meme HERE!



"Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun."


The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
by
Douglas Adams 




This week I decided to share the first sentence of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, which as you probably allready know is so funny & fun to read & I'll share the first 2 sentences from the prologue of The Rake by Suzanne Enoch & the first sentence from the 1st chapter, too. I've loved every Suzanne Enoch' s book I've read, but I think that this one is the funniest so far & it'll be one of my favorites! I'll probably finish both books today! They're so much fun!



from the prologue:


Lady Georgiana Halley burst through the drawing room doors. "Did you hear what that man did this time?"


from the 1st chapter:


"Lady Georgiana Halley watched Dare enter the ballroom and wondered why the soles of his boots didn't smoke, he was so well traveled on the path to Hell."

9 comments:

  1. The opening sentence certainly sounds promising. I must confess though that I hated the movie and didn't even bother to finish watching it. And because of that I've been avoiding the book. Maybe I'll rethink that stance after this.

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your beginning of The Rake: I like the way you gave us sentences from the prologue and Chapter 1. They are definitely coming from different places, and set the tone for the story.

    In the other one, the description was lyrical.

    Here's mine:

    http://laurelrainsnowswonderland.wordpress.com/2010/06/04/book-beginnings-on-friday-7/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Hitchhiker's Guide!

    Hope you make it through both books, today. Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Are you reading the entire series? The other book has a great opening sentences too!

    Here is my Book Beginning Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I particularly enjoyed the sentences from The Rake. Thanks for sharing them. Lady Georgiana must be quite a character!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL I must be the last person in the world who hasn't read the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, but it sounds hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant brilliant brilliant - hitchikers if so funny! what a great opening line. everything else pales in comparison

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Melanie! I did & I loved them both!

    Carin, I'll read the whole series (I have them) but don't know when! I saw the 1st sentence of the 2nd book & that one is even better! I loved the 1st book! So funny! :D

    Yeah, Christina! She is quite the character & I really liked her :)

    Katy, I thought that about me, so I finally decided to read it :)

    ReplyDelete