Jun 30, 2010

#110 - "Anansi Boys" by Neil Gaiman


Summary:
God is dead. Meet the kids.

When Fat Charlie's dad named something, it stuck. Like calling Fat Charlie "Fat Charlie." Even now, twenty years later, Charlie Nancy can't shake that name, one of the many embarrassing "gifts his father bestowed - before he dropped dead on a karaoke stage and ruined Fat Charlie's life.

Mr. Nancy left Fat Charlie things. Things like the tall good-looking stranger who appears on Charlie's doorstep, who appears to be the brother he never knew. A brother as different from Charlie as night is to day, a brother who's going to show Charlie how to lighten up and have a little fun...just like Dear Old Dad. And all of a sudden, life starts getting very interesting for Fat Charlie.

Because, you see, Charlie's dad wasn't just any dad. He was Anansi, a trickster god, the spider-god. Anansi is the spirit of rebellion -- he is able to overturn the social order, create wealth out of thin air, and baffle the devil.

Exciting, scary, and deeply funny, Anansi Boys is a kaleidoscope journey deep into myth, a wild adventure, and a fierce and unstoppable farce, as Neil Gaiman shows us where gods come from, and how to survive your family. 

My rating: 5/5

My thoughts on the book:
I loved it! The last sentence of the summary above describes the book really well! It was really fun & hilarious book and now it's one of my favorites! I just love Neil Gaiman's books! I loved the characters, too! I highly recommend it! It's definitely a must-read!

Challenges:

2 comments:

  1. This is one of my favourite novels by Gaiman. Have you read American Gods yet? That one is my all time favourite book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, still haven't read American Gods & Neverwhere, but I will!

    ReplyDelete