Mar 14, 2012

"Forbidden" by Jana Oliver


Title: Forbidden

Series: The Demon Trappers #2

Author: Jana Oliver

(read from February 16th to February 19th, 2012)

My rating: 3.5 of 5


Summary:  
Riley Blackthorne is beginning to learn that there are worse things than death by demon. And love is just one of them...

Seventeen-year-old Riley has about had it up to here. After the devastating battle at the Tabernacle, trappers are dead and injured, her boyfriend Simon is gravely injured, and now her beloved late father’s been illegally poached from his grave by a very powerful necromancer. As if that’s not enough, there's Ori, one sizzling hot freelance demon hunter who’s made himself Riley’s unofficial body guard, and Beck, a super over-protective “friend” who acts more like a grouchy granddad. With all the hassles, Riley’s almost ready to leave Atlanta altogether.

But as Atlanta’s demon count increases, the Vatican finally sends its own Demon Hunters to take care of the city’s “little” problem, and pandemonium breaks loose. Only Riley knows that she might be the center of Hell’s attention: an extremely powerful Grade 5 demon is stalking her, and her luck can't last forever...

 
My Thoughts on the Book:

Ok, although I usually try not to include spoilers in my reviews, this time I have to, so if you haven't read Forbidden a.k.a Soul Thief & you don't want spoilers, don't read the rest.
So, I had some trouble with the rating of this book. It was good, but I didn't love it or even liked it a lot, I just liked it & yeah, I couldn't put it down & it left me pining for the sequel, and it deserved more than 3.5 rating, but I just couldn't make myself to give it a rating of 4. Why?
Well, the biggest reason have to be Ori. From the moment we met him in Forsaken, I didn't like him. Yeah, he was supposed to be this gorgeous & sexy guy, but I just didn't like him, even the way he looked I didn't like, so that was the biggest reason. I just couldn't connect to him & because of him I couldn't really connect with Riley, I even started to think that she was a little stupid & I was a little annoyed with her & don't get me started on their romance. They just didn't have any chemistry according to me & yeah, Riley was acting like a silly little schoolgirl in love. And as for who exactly Ori was, I had a hunch even when I read Forsaken for the first time & I was right, so that "big" surprise at the end wasn't a surprise at all. I even realised quite early that he's being played, also, so in the end he was a little stupid, too. And although Ori saved Beck from the Mezmer (that was great scene, I even got tears in my eyes for Beck) I still didn't like him. Anyway, that romance was necessary for setting up the rest of the storyline for Forgiven, and that was quite good & the ending of this book was quite good. As I said, I wasn't surprised by anything that happened, except who summoned her father - that I didn't see coming, so it was a really good surprise.
Anyway, although not a big fan of this book, it was still good & it worth my time & money, so I still recommend the series.  
 


Challenges: 

100+ Books In A Year Reading Challenge 2012

ABC Challenge 2012

Finishing the Series Challenge 2012



0 comments:

Post a Comment