Jul 29, 2010

#139 - "The Light" by D. J. MacHale


Summary:
Marshall Seaver is being haunted.
It begins with mysterious sounds, a fleeting face outside a window, a rogue breeze - all things that can be explained away. That is, until he comes face-to-face with a character who only exists on the pages of a sketchbook - a character Marshall himself created.
Marshall has no idea why he is being tormented by this forbidding creature, but he is quickly convinced it has something to do with his best friend, Cooper, who has gone missing. Together with Cooper's beautiful but aloof sister, Sydney, Marshall searches for the truth about his friend while ultimately uncovering a nightmare that is bigger and more frightening than he could ever have imagined.

My rating: 5/5

My thoughts on the book:
I loved this book! It's the first book of the Morpheus Road trilogy! First of all, I have to say that I absolutely loved the foreword by D. J. MacHale. I grew up watching Are You Afraid of the Dark? & when I read the first Pendragon book, I was pleasantly surprised when I found out that he's behind the tv series, so in the foreword he speaks of his love for scary & supernatural stories. I wouldn't call this book scary or horror book, but a mystery, suspenseful & supernatural book! The story starts slowly, but I enjoyed every second of it! Actually, from the beginning I was gripped & I couldn't put it down until I finished it! I also loved that it wasn't predictable at all! The first half of the book is really fun & the second half becomes more eventful. In the end there was actually one scene that was a little scary ;) I loved the story & I absolutely loved the characters! They're well developed & they were like real characters that you can meet in your every day life! They felt that real... The epilogue was a pleasant surprise & when I read it, I guessed what the title of the 2nd book will be & I was right ;) One if my favorites books this year, so I  recommend it & I can't wait for the sequel!

Challenges:

1 comment:

  1. This is definitely one of my favorite reads of 2010. I listened to it on tape and was sucked into the suspense to the point where I couldn't stop listening. I am so anxious to find out what happens next, and wonder how it can top the first book.

    ReplyDelete