Oct 2, 2011

#94 - "The Restorer" by Amanda Stevens (ARC)



Title: The Restorer
Author: Amanda Stevens
Series: Graveyard Queen, Book 1
Publisher: Harlequin
Imprint: MIRA Books
ISBN: 9780778329817

Read on August 19th-20th, 2011 from e-copy acquired from NetGalley!

My rating: 5 of 5

Summary:
NEVER ACKNOWLEDGE THE DEAD.
NEVER STRAY FROM HALLOWED GROUND.
NEVER GET CLOSE TO THE HAUNTED.
NEVER, EVER TEMPT FATE.
 
My father’s rules.
I’ve never broken them…until now.
 
My name is Amelia Gray. I’m a cemetery restorer who sees ghosts. In order to protect myself from the parasitic nature of the dead, I’ve always held fast to the rules passed down from my father. But now a haunted police detective has entered my world and everything is changing, including the rules that have always kept me safe.
It started with the discovery of a young woman’s brutalized body in an old Charleston graveyard I’ve been hired to restore. The clues to the killer—and to his other victims— lie in the headstone symbolism that only I can interpret. Devlin needs my help, but his ghosts shadow his every move, feeding off his warmth, sustaining their presence with his energy. To warn him would be to invite them into my life. I’ve vowed to keep my distance, but the pull of his magnetism grows ever stronger even as the symbols lead me closer to the killer and to the gossamer veil that separates this world from the next.

 
My thoughts on the book:
Although I found the description of this book intriguing, it's definitely not what I expected, so I was surprised. I guess this adult book is a mix of horror, romance, murder mystery & urban fantasy. When I started this book, I just couldn't put it down. I got so wrapped up in the story. And what a creepy story. I was reading it late at night (or maybe I should say early in the morning) & at one moment I was thinking about stop reading it until tomorrow so I don't read it in the dark, because it was just so creepy & that's something that doesn't happen to me, but in the end I just couldn't stop reading it until I finished it :) Loved the mystery in the story & the mysteries of the ghost world & although I guessed who the killer is (although not exactly why he kills, that surprised me) the ending was still really great. So, plenty of suspense in this book. And I'll say it again, I got so much goose bumps while reading this book! I loved the chemistry between Amelia & Devlin and I'm hoping we'll get more of that in the sequel ;) For me this was amazing read, one of those that will stay with you & you'll think about it now & then. Definitely one of my favorites now & one more of the books that I just have to own ;) So, I highly recommend this book!

Challenges:

0 comments:

Post a Comment