Oct 31, 2011

#125 - "The Poisoned House" by Michael Ford (ARC)


Title: The Poisoned House

Author: Michael Ford

Publisher: Albert Whitman & Company

Pages: 328

ISBN: 9780807565896

Read on October 4th, 2011 from e-copy acquired from NetGalley!

My rating: 3.5 of 5

Summary:
Life can be cruel for a servant girl in 1850s London. Fifteen-year-old Abi is a scullery maid in Greave Hall, an elegant but troubled household. The widowed master of the house is slowly slipping into madness, and the tyrannical housekeeper, Mrs. Cotton, punishes Abi without mercy. But there's something else going on in Greave Hall, too. An otherworldly presence is  making itself known, and a deadly secret will reveal itself—a secret that will shatter everything Abi knows.

My thoughts on the book:
I enjoyed The Poisoned House a lot. I have to admit that before I started reading this one, I thought it will be a little different, but when I started reading it I realised I was wrong. I have to admit that the summary gives more ominous vibe than it really is. I wouldn't call this book a horror, I'd call it a historical mystery or ghost story. The pacing isn't fast, but it fits the story perfectly. I liked the characters & although the secret & the ending didn't surprise me, I still enjoyed the journey. I'll definitely try Michael Ford's other books. I recommend it.

Challenges:

0 comments:

Post a Comment