Jul 27, 2012

"Of Poseidon" by Anna Banks



Title: Of Poseidon

Author: Anna Banks

Series: Of Poseidon #1



My rating: 4.5 of 5


Summary:


Galen is the prince of the Syrena, sent to land to find a girl he's heard can communicate with fish. Emma is on vacation at the beach. When she runs into Galen — literally, ouch! — both teens sense a connection. But it will take several encounters, including a deadly one with a shark, for Galen to be convinced of Emma's gifts. Now, if he can only convince Emma that she holds the key to his kingdom . . .

Told from both Emma and Galen's points of view, here is a fish-out-of-water story that sparkles with intrigue, humor, and waves of romance.



My Thoughts on the Book:


Overall, I loved Of Poseidon. I was expecting a fun read, and I definitely got it :) I won't go into spoilers, but the story goes like this: Emma & her best friend Chloe (and Chloe's parents) are in Florida for the summer, and there she meets Galen & his sister Rayna. Then something happens, and she goes home, so Galen enrolls in her school to see if she really has the gift of Poseidon. What exactly that means? I'm not telling you :)   

I'm not spoiling the story any more, but they start to hang out & work on Emma's "skills", and of course there's that undeniable chemistry between Emma & Galen. I'll say that the story was a little predictable, I realised early on where it was going, but it's only the first book, and it was predictable in a good way, so I enjoyed the journey a lot.

Also, all the characters were really likable, and my favourite without a doubt was Toraf, Galen's best friend. My second favourite character - Rayna. Toraf is actually after Rayna, and although he requested for permission to marry her from her older brother Grom (and he allowed), and because of that she acted like she hates him now, I didn't mind that, because it was obvious that she feels the same for him, so I loved seeing their banter.  
So, this book is filled with lots of humor & fun dialogues, and it made me laugh so many times. So, yeah, I loved the writing style, Anna Banks has written really good debut, with interesting storyline, and I wouldn't love it as much if it wasn't for her fun writing style. Also, I loved the fact that she used the word Syrena for the mer-people, especially because in my country our word for mermaid is syrena, so that fact brought a smile to my face. I enjoyed the interactions between all the characters, as well as between Emma & Galen, and as I said I especially loved the ones between Rayna & Toraf. So, this book was lots of fun, and a fast read & I can't wait for the sequel. 

So, if you're up to a fun summer read with interesting take on mermaids & some of the greek mythology, I recommend this book a lot.



Challenges:


2 comments:

  1. Great review, Aleksandra! I've been dying to read this book for SUCH a long time >_< Still haven't gotten around to it. So glad to hear that you liked and enjoyed it so much~!! It sounds like an awesome and light read, even though it was a bit predictable...then again, I'm terrible at predicting XD Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vivian :) I'm actually too good at predicting, so that's a little bit of a problem for me ^_^

      Delete