Jul 30, 2012

"Before I Wake" by Rachel Vincent



Title: Before I Wake

Author: Rachel Vincent

Series: Soul Screamers #6



My rating: 5 of 5
 
 
(book read from July 23rd to July 29th, 2012)
 

WARNING:  

IF you haven't read book #5 If I Die, DON'T READ the summary below or the review, because there are major spoilers for the series.



Summary:


I died on a Thursday - killed by a monster intent on stealing my soul. The good news? He didn't get it. The bad news? Turns out not even death will get you out of high school...   
Covering up her own murder was one thing, but faking life is much harder than Kaylee Cavanaugh expected. After weeks spent "recovering," she's back in school, fighting to stay visible to the human world, struggling to fit in with her friends and planning time alone with her new reaper boyfriend. But to earn her keep in the human world, Kaylee must reclaim stolen souls, and when her first assignment brings her face-to-face with an old foe, she knows the game has changed. Her immortal status won't keep her safe. And this time Kaylee isn't just gambling with her own life...



My Thoughts on the Book:


If you still haven't tried the Soul Screamers series, what are you waiting for? You have to read it! I love the series so much, one of those that gets under your skin (unexpectedly) and you want more & more :)   

In Before I Wake, we see how Kaylee is coping with being dead, but undead. She doesn't sleep anymore, and when she's alone, she's feeling so alone & loses her will to live. That was done great (which was expected, Rachel Vincent is great author), and that also shows how the reapers like Tod & the other undead similar to him & like Kaylee, can & are slowly losing their humanity.  

Other quite important part of the story is Tod & Kaylee as a couple & their realtionship. Yeah, I love them as a couple so much (one of my fav couples in books) & Tod is such an amazing character & so swoon-worthy - yeah, I've probably said that in my previous Soul Screamers reviews, but it should be repeated :) I loved their romance & interactions & dialogues. They were so sweet & romantic & when I think about them, I get smile on my face every time :) I loved it, loved it, loved it & I love them, love them, love them. They're perfect for each other! 
 
I did feel sorry for Nash. I still really like him, and yeah, Sabine is there for him, and yeah, he loves her, but he still loves Kaylee, too, and he's been hurt so much by both Kaylee & Tod, so I can understand him, but slowly he started to turn around, and hopefully he'll get over it soon & moves on completely, although yeah, he's trying. I've always loved the brotherly interactions between him & Tod, and later in the book we do get that, and it reminded me so much on their interactions in the first book. 
Now for the other characters - there weren't a lot new characters, most of them were characters we already knew & know well & we love. All of these characters (Alec, Emma, Sabine, Harmony, Kaylee's dad & uncle, even Sophie) have sneaked inside my heart & I can't help but feel for everything that has happened before & is happening in Before I Wake. 
I won't go into details of the storyline, it was another great story, some things I saw coming, some I didn't, but I don't want to include spoilers, but I cried on the part with Alec, it was surprising & I don't know how I didn't saw it coming, and I'm still so sad. 
Also, I started to feel so sorry for Emma in this book, even before everything that happened in this book, I just had a feeling everything she'd been through before, it's not over, and it will get worse for her. When I realised that while I was reading this book, I found myself surprised, because she's a secondary character & she's a human, so when I started the series months ago & I met Emma for the first time, I definitely wasn't expecting all that happened to her after My Soul to Take, so poor Emma... 
Now, Avari - he must be one of the most evil characters in the YA bookish world & he's a psycho genius, too. So, yeah, you gotta love to hate him & I can't wait to see how he'll get what he deserves, he & all his hellions "friends". As for Thane, I wasn't surprised, because of the novella Never to Sleep, I had a feeling how he's story will go. 
  
As with the previous books, Before I Wake was a fast read (I would've read it in a day or two, but I hadn't had a lot of time for reading this week), that also made me laugh & made me cry, and made me swoon, and there was also a mystery, romance, lots of twists & turns, great writing style, and it was heart-breaking, and it kept me turning the pages until early in the morning hours, not being able to stop reading & put it down until I finished it. 

Another thing I really loved was the extra short story A Day in the Afterlife of Tod, which is set before If I Die & I loved it so much, it was fun & sad, and yeah, Tod got his miracle. I love Rachel Vincent!!!     

Before I Wake is another amazing addition to the Soul Screamers series, so if you're a fan of the series, you don't want to miss it (and you probably won't). I can't wait for the last book With All My Soul next year, and now we know which book will be one of my most expected in 2013! 


Challenges:


0 comments:

Post a Comment