Apr 5, 2010

#34 - "The Turkish Gambit" by Boris Akunin


Summary:
It is 1877, and war has broken out between Russia and the Ottoman Empire. In the treacherous atmosphere of a Russian field army, former diplomat and detective extraordinaire Erast Fandorin stumbles upon his most confounding case. Its difficulties are only compounded by the presence of Varya Suvorova, a deadly serious (and seriously beautiful) woman with revolutionary ideals who has disguised herself as a boy in order to reunite with her respected comrade and fiancĂ©. Even after Fandorin saves her life, Varya can hardly bear to thank such a “lackey of the throne” for his efforts. When Varya’s fiancĂ© is accused of espionage and faces execution, however, she must turn to Fandorin to find the real culprit . . . a mission that forces her to reckon with his courage, deductive mind, and piercing gaze. 

My thoughts on the book:
I loved it. I just couldn't put it down & read it in one day. It wasn't as good as "The Winter Queen", but it was pretty good. I guess what I missed in it was more of Erast Fandorin, 'cause the storyline was more around Varya than Fandorin, although he was there, but I still loved it & I recommend it!

My rating: 4/5

Challenges:

1 comment: