Dec 28, 2013

"Vicious" by V. E. Schwab


Title: Vicious
 
Author: V. E. Schwab
 
 
My rating: 5 of 5

  
(Book read from December 5th to December 19th, 2013, for a read-along.)
 

Summary:

 

A masterful, twisted tale of ambition, jealousy, betrayal, and superpowers, set in a near-future world.

Victor and Eli started out as college roommates — brilliant, arrogant, lonely boys who recognized the same sharpness and ambition in each other. In their senior year, a shared research interest in adrenaline, near-death experiences, and seemingly supernatural events reveals an intriguing possibility: that under the right conditions, someone could develop extraordinary abilities. But when their thesis moves from the academic to the experimental, things go horribly wrong.

Ten years later, Victor breaks out of prison, determined to catch up to his old friend (now foe), aided by a young girl whose reserved nature obscures a stunning ability. Meanwhile, Eli is on a mission to eradicate every other super-powered person that he can find — aside from his sidekick, an enigmatic woman with an unbreakable will. Armed with terrible power on both sides, driven by the memory of betrayal and loss, the archnemeses have set a course for revenge — but who will be left alive at the end?

In Vicious, V. E. Schwab brings to life a gritty comic-book-style world in vivid prose: a world where gaining superpowers doesn’t automatically lead to heroism, and a time when allegiances are called into question.
 



My Thoughts on the Book:

 

I've loved everything Victoria Schwab has written so far, and her latest novel isn't exception. Actually, Vicious is her best one, and I know I won't do it justice with this review, but I'll try.

I loved, loved the story. From the way it was told (going back & forth through the far past, the near past & the present), to the story itself & the idea behind it, I just adored everything about it, to the wonderful & complex characters (that you won't be able to stop yourself, but care for), and their different background stories, just everything was woven perfectly in one amazing & addicting tale, that will keep you glued to the pages to see how exactly it will play out, yet at the same time you wouldn't want for it to end. At least, that's what I felt while reading this book, and I really, really hope there will be a sequel, because I want more.

As I said, all the characters were so complex, there just aren't good or bad characters, heroes or villains, so you'll have to decide for yourself who you'll root for in this tale of betrayal, heartbreak & revenge. I was just so captivated by the characters & the story & the suspense of it. Victoria Schwab is one brilliant author that has written one unique & wonderful & brilliant novel, that I know I'll love reading again & again. The moment I finished it, I wanted to start it again. So, yeah, I can't wait to see what she comes up with next, because her imagination & stories are so different & unique, and she's such an eclectic author with one of the most amazing writing styles, and she never stops to surprise me :)

I can't recommend this book enough. It's dark & twisted & fun & wonderful & heartbreaking & amazing & villainous & suspenseful & addicting & unforgettable, everything I would wish for in a book, so if there's one 2013 book you must read, that's Vicious.

 

Challenges:


4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed this. I really liked it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to read this book. I only hear amazing things about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it was an amazing book, that's why :D

      I hope you'll read it & find it just as amazing as I did :)

      Delete