Nov 15, 2010

#203 - "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak


Title: The Book Thief
Author: Markus Zusak

Summary:
It's just a small story really, about among other things: a girl, some words, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist-fighter, and quite a lot of thievery. . . .

Set during World War II in Germany, Markus Zusak's groundbreaking new novel is the story of Liesel Meminger, a foster girl living outside of Munich. Liesel scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can't resist - books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement before he is marched to Dachau.

This is an unforgettable story about the ability of books to feed the soul.

My rating: 5 of 5

My thoughts on the book:
This book is simply amazing! I've heard so many great things about it, but I just never thought that I'm in a mood for a WW2 book, but now I see I was wrong & should've read it sooner! It's just different from what I expected! First, I'll start with the writing, it was simply beautiful. I'll definitely read more of Markus Zusak & soon! I don't think I can really express how much I loved this book! It just had all: it was fun, I mean laugh-out-loud situations, it had happy moments, I loved, loved all the characters, you can't help it, but connect to all the characters, and it was of course sad, too! I just loved it everything about it! Also, I have to mention that I've never cried while reading a book like I cried on this one! I rarely cry & I have to admit that at one point, I had to stop reading to calm myself, but it was worth it! I can't recommend it enough, and if you still haven't read it, what are you waiting for? You don't know what you're missing... Definitely one of my favorite books & I'll definitely read it again & again!

Challenges:

0 comments:

Post a Comment