May 28, 2013

"Rogue Oracle" by Alayna Williams


Title: Rogue Oracle

Author: Alayna Williams

Series: Delphic Oracle, #2


My rating: 4.5 of 5


(Book read from May 14-16, 2013, from my own PB copy) 


Summary:

 
 THE MORE YOU KNOW ABOUT THE FUTURE, THE MORE THERE MAY BE TO FEAR. 

Tara Sheridan is the best criminal profiler around - and the most unconventional. Trained as a forensic psychologist, Tara also specializes in Tarot card reading. But she doesn’t need her divination skills to realize that the new assignment from her friend and sometime lover, Agent Harry Li, is a dangerous proposition in every way.
 
Former Cold War operatives, all linked to a top-secret operation tracking the disposal of nuclear weapons in Russia, are disappearing. There are no bodies, and no clues to their whereabouts. Harry suspects a conspiracy to sell arms to the highest bidder. The cards - and Tara’s increasingly ominous dreams - suggest something darker. Even as Tara sorts through her feelings for Harry and her fractured relationship with the mysterious order known as Delphi’s Daughters, a killer is growing more ruthless by the day. And a nightmare that began decades ago in Chernobyl will reach a terrifying endgame that not even Tara could have foreseen...
 



My Thoughts on the Book:

 
The first book Dark Oracle is one of my favs. I loved it even more after I re-read it, and everything I loved about that book the author has managed to include in this sequel, too.

First of all, I love the idea of the series. The whole mix of mythology, powers, mystery & history mixed together in a perfect way is something that I completely adored about this book, too. So, yeah, the author had done an amazing job. Add to that the amazing cast of characters that I absolutely love, and really interesting villain, and you've got yourself a great book :)

I love Tara as a character. She's really well-developed character & she has been through a lot, but I love it that she doesn't give up. I love reading about how Tara is reading the Tarot cards, that's executed in such an amazing way, and in this book her powers are starting to change & evolve, featuring her dreams, too, and I absolutely loved this, too :) 

There's also Harry Li. I love him as a character, too, and I love him & Tara as a couple. The romance is just a side storyline in both books, but the little we get I love it. They're completely opposite, yet perfect for each other, and I can't help but root for them.

There's also Cassie, poor Cassie, what she went through in this book, the Pythia is a little bit on the crazy side while doing what she think she must, and I wouldn't want to stand in her way. But, even with all of that, I can't hate her, she's quite an interesting character, and she does anything she can to help when she can.

As for the plot & the story, I thought it was amazing & a little bit on the brilliant side. Yeah, I loved it. It was eerie, creepy, sad & heartbreaking, and the villain himself was quite scary. I got shivers all over me just thinking of some of his scenes. And he was also strangely compelling, but terrifying, too.

And of course I loved the writing style, too. Laura has this way with words that captivates me every time I read one of her books, and she did it again. So, yeah, she's one of my fav authors now, and I'm definitely going to read anything she writes in the future.

I just wish there weren't only 2 books in the series. This one was published over 2 years ago, and I even asked Laura hoping she has plans more for more, but she said that although she'd love to write more, she doesn't plan to :( So, yeah, no more Delphic Oracle books, but there's always re-reading.

Rogue Oracle is a great sequel to Dark Oracle, and one great urban fantasy book, with great characters, compelling & unique story, that I can't recommend enough. It's now one of my favs & I know I'll enjoying reading this again & again! And I highly recommend the Delphic Oracle duology, both are really great books you wouldn't want to miss. 
 

 

Challenges:


0 comments:

Post a Comment