May 22, 2013

"Waiting On" Wednesday #117: Earth Afire + Abaddon's Gate!

"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.
 
 
 
Earth Afire
(The First Formic War, #2)  
by
Orson Scott Card & Aaron Johnston

Publication date:
June 4th, 2013
 

One hundred years before Ender's Game, the aliens arrived on Earth with fire and death. This is the story of the First Formic War.

Victor Delgado beat the alien ship to Earth, but just barely. Not soon enough to convince skeptical governments that there was a threat. They didn’t believe that until space stations and ships and colonies went up in sudden flame.

And when that happened, only Mazer Rackham and the Mobile Operations Police could move fast enough to meet the threat...
 
Following Earth Unaware comes this thrilling second novel in the First Formic War series.




 
Abaddon's Gate
(Expanse, #3)
by
James S. A. Corey

Publication date:
June 4th, 2013
 
 

For generations, the solar system – Mars, the Moon, the Asteroid Belt – was humanity’s great frontier. Until now. The alien artefact working through its program under the clouds of Venus has emerged to build a massive structure outside the orbit of Uranus: a gate that leads into a starless dark.

Jim Holden and the crew of the Rocinante are part of a vast flotilla of scientific and military ships going out to examine the artefact. But behind the scenes, a complex plot is unfolding, with the destruction of Holden at its core. As the emissaries of the human race try to find whether the gate is an opportunity or a threat, the greatest danger is the one they brought with them.




What are you waiting for this week?
 
Leave me your WoW links!

12 comments:

  1. Intriguing picks! Haven't heard of these before!

    Here's my WoW

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a very scifi-centric wishlist this week! I've read Ender's Game, but nothing else in the same universe. For some reason I prefer to think about it as a standalone, I feel like it's a perfect, self-contained little package. Perhaps I'm afraid the other books wouldn't be as good?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was purely accidental :) I just noticed they come out soon, so it's a sci-fi WoW this week :)

      I haven't read any of the Ender's Game sequels, too, although I loved Ender's Game, and I've heard that the sequels aren't as great, although I do plan to read them. Maybe this year after I re-read Ender's Game, I'll finally continue the series :)

      As for the prequels, the 1st book Earth Unaware was available on NetGalley last year, so I read it & I loved it, it was great, so I'm looking forward to reading the sequel :)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Interesting picks. I can't get past Card's politics, so I'll likely never force myself to give him a read, despite all the love for Ender's Game. The Expanse is a series I've been curious, so I've used the release of the third book to kickstart my reading - I began Leviathan Wakes over the weekend, and I'm quite enjoying it so far.

    Here's my pick for the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad your enjoying Leviathan Wakes, I loved it, although I'm yet to read the 2nd book. I'm hoping to pick it up soon :)

      Thanks for stopping by, Bob.

      Delete
  4. Both of these are new to me but they sounds really great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually haven't read anything by Orson Scott Card. Nice picks.
    Here is My WOW

    ReplyDelete
  6. Neat picks, my son would love these! Thanks for stopping by My WoW

    ReplyDelete