May 13, 2013

Bout of Books Read-a-Thon 7.0: Goals + Start + Mini Challenges + Updates + Wrap Up!


The Bout of Books read-a-thon is organized by Amanda @ On a Book Bender and Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal on the Bout of Books Read-a-thon dedicated blog.


Time Devoted to Reading:



I plan to read every day through the week for at least an hour, and hopefully more.

 

My Goals:



  • To read 3 books (to start & finish)
  • To finish at least 1 previously started book
  • To read at least 1 hour daily
  • To participate in at least one mini challenge
  • To join a twitter party


Books to Read:



- To finish pile



- TBR pile:


Ok, so once or twice a year, I have a binge for fun contemporary &/or historical romances that lasts a week or two, and right now I'm in one, and there's a good chance it will continue, that's why there's lots of contemporary romance on my list. No idea what I'll read, because I'm a moody reader, so I must have lots of choices :)

Mini Challenges:





Sorry for the bad photo, I used my mobile, but here's my poem:

A Witch Alone
Torn in the Dark
The Black Inside
The Hallowed Ones

I didn't add any words, I just used the titles from these 6 books: A Witch Alone by Ruth Warburton, Torn by Amanda Hocking, In the Dark by Mark Billingham, The Black by D. J. MacHale, Inside by Maria V. Snyder, and The Hallowed Ones by Laura Bickle.



For this challenge, I decided to re-create the cover of my current read: Rogue Oracle by Alayna Williams:


...the background art isn't mine (just borrowed it from here), and I've added the Tarot cards that Tara (the main character in Rogue Oracle) keeps drawing again & again while reading her cards ;)



 Bones Buried Deep
In the Dark
A Thousand Bones
Paint it Black

The genre I chose was thriller, and although I had a few variations with more books, I decided to keep it short & simple, mainly because I liked this one the most, and yeah, I'm not really good at poetry ;) 

 

Updates:


Monday:

Today I read: 12 chapters (106 pages) of The Summer I Became a Nerd by Leah Rae Miller & 1 chapter (24 pages) of The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon.
Books started today: The Summer I Became a Nerd by Leah Rae Miller
Books I've finished today: none
Mini challenges I participated in today: Book Spine Poem
Total number of books I've read/finished: 0

Total number of mini challenges I've participated in: 1
Daily thoughts: I did really good today: I read 130 pages, blog hopped around fellow read-a-thon-ers blogs, chatted about books (a lot) on Twitter, had lots of fun on the Twitter Party & participated in the 1st mini challenge.


Tuesday:
 
Today I read: a little from The Summer I Became a Nerd, a little from I Don't Want to Kill You & almost 100 pages from Rogue Oracle.

Books started today: I Don't Want to Kill You by Dan Wells & Rogue Oracle by Alayna Williams
Books I've finished today: none
Mini challenges I participated in today: none
Total number of books I've read/finished: 0

Total number of mini challenges I've participated in: 1
Daily thoughts: I did better then I expected, although I did jump around 3 books :)
  

Wednesday:
 
Today I read: Rogue Oracle

Books started today: none
Books I've finished today: none
Mini challenges I participated in today: Create A Cover
Total number of books I've read/finished: 0

Total number of mini challenges I've participated in: 2
Daily thoughts: I was hoping to finish Dark Oracle, but didn't, only because I was too busy, but I'll definitely finish it soon. I also had fun with today's mini challenge :)



Thursday:
 
Today I read: The Summer I Became a Nerd & Rogue Oracle

Books started today: none
Books I've finished today: The Summer I Became a Nerd & Rogue Oracle
Mini challenges I participated in today: none
Total number of books I've read/finished: 2

Total number of mini challenges I've participated in: 2
Daily thoughts:  I did better then the previous days, and I finally finished some books & made a dent in my goals :)
 

Friday:
 
Today I read: Crazy Little Thing Called Love & I Don't Want to Kill You

Books started today: Crazy Little Thing Called Love by Molly Cannon
Books I've finished today: Crazy Little Thing Called Love
Mini challenges I participated in today: none
Total number of books I've read/finished: 3

Total number of mini challenges I've participated in: 2
Daily thoughts: I finally had more time for reading, so today I read Crazy Little Thing Called Love & I also read some from I Don't Want to Kill You - I hope I'll finish it before the read-a-thon ends.



Saturday:
 
Today I read: I Don't Want to Kill You & Hot Blooded by Amanda Carlson

Books started today: none
Books I've finished today: I Don't Want to Kill You
Mini challenges I participated in today: Genre Book Spine Poetry
Total number of books I've read/finished: 4

Total number of mini challenges I've participated in:  3
Daily Thoughts: Today I finished my 4th book, I also participated in today's mini challenge & the Twitter chat, so it was fun read-a-thon day :)




Sunday:
 
Today I read: Hot Blooded & The Shadow of the Wind

Books started today: none
Books I've finished today: Hot Blooded
Mini challenges I participated in today: none
Total number of books I've read/finished: 5

Total number of mini challenges I've participated in:  3
Daily thoughts: The last day was great, too. I didn't think I'll manage to finish Hot Blooded, but once I started, of course I couldn't stop ;) So, yeah, this read-a-thon was a success.


Wrap Up:


I had lots of fun this read-a-thon. I achieved all of my goals, I read 4 books & finished 1 previously started book, I participated in 2 of the twitter chats, as well as 3 of the mini challenges, so it was definitely a success.

Books I read:

I think I made a great decision with the books I read, because I loved all of these: The Summer I Became a Nerd, Rogue Oracle & Crazy Little Thing Called Love got a 4.5 rating, and I Don't Want to Kill You & Hot Blooded got a rating of 5.


 I hope you all had a great time, so see ya next time!

40 comments:

  1. You've got a great list to choose from there! Best of luck with your goals :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a couple of contemporary binges each year as well! I'm just easing into one right now, actually. I'm hoping to read a few for BoB :D Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Shadow of the Wind! Can't wait to see your review on it. Good luck in the read-a-thon!

    Angie
    My goals for Bout of Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your poem is great too! I had some trouble with mine.. I had to pull out some books from the 80s!! yea that's right!!

      Angie

      Delete
  4. Realistic goals i enjoy^^ i have both the collector and hot blooded on my wishlist

    good luck

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome job with the poem! I like that you didn't need to use any extra words :) Thanks so much for participating, and good luck with your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on how far you've made it! I love how your not cramming too much into one day. I'm your newest follower! I hope you can follow my blog and check out my progress at: Bout of Books 7.0: Progress
    Thank you!
    - Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura! I decided to just relax & have some fun this time :)

      Thanks for stopping by & for following :)

      Delete
  7. The Summer I Became a Nerd sounds really cute. I hope you reach your goals :) good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oo, I just finished Gameboard of the Gods and really liked it, so I hope you get to start that one :D

    My BoB updates

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks like a good mix of books there! I have not read any of them, but several I will have to look into! Good luck this week and enjoy your reading!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're doing really well so far, well done! And I love your cover re-design. :-) Still haven't thought about which book to use for mine yet. Hope day 3 goes well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an amazing book list, and I love your Book Spine Poem :)

    Keep up the good work ;)

    My BoB updates.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job with the cover. I like the way you connected the cover to the story. I love your blog design, btw. Thanks for participating! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you ^_^

      Thanks for hosting the challenge & thanks for following me :)

      Delete
  13. Great job! I get in those same spurts but I enjoy them when I do. Happy Reading!

    My Progress

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've seen a few people with The Shadow of the Wind on their lists. How is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good, I've enjoyed it so far, although I haven't fallen in love with it like everyone else so far.

      Delete
  15. Loads of fab books on your pile. Hope you're enjoying Bout of Books :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I definitely like your genre poem! A lot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your genre poem! :-D Congrats on your progress so far and happy reading for today! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks like you had a great bout of books. I would like to read the John Green and the Shadow of the Wind. Have a great last day of the Bout of Books! I'm a new bloglovin follower. Here are my Bout of Books Read-a-thon Goals and Updates if you'd like to stop by.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Way to go for meeting your goals. Good luck on your reading endeavors and hope to see you for Bout of Books 8.0 in August.

    Lisa @ Just Another Rabid Reader

    ReplyDelete
  20. Woo! Congrats on making all your goals! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow. Looks like you got in some good reading during the read-a-thon. I have my eye on The Summer I Became a Nerd. Here are my read-a-thon results: http://madhoydenish.blogspot.com/2013/04/iamreading-level-26-series-bout-of-books.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fun read, I hope you'll enjoy it :)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete