May 22, 2013

"I Don't Want to Kill You" by Dan Wells



Title: I Don't Want to Kill You

Author: Dan Wells

Series: John Cleaver, #3


My rating: 5 of 5


(Book read from May 14th-18th, 2013)


Warning:  
If you haven't read the previous 2 books I Am Not A Serial Killer & Mr. Monster, there are spoilers about them & the trilogy in the summary below!


 Summary:


 
My name is John Cleaver and I've killed two people.

But I don't want to kill you.

Honest.

The men I killed were demons: actual, physical monsters, who survive by taking the bodies, identities, and lives of innocent people. They are predators, and we are their prey, and I'm the only one who can stop them because I'm a predator too. One by one, I'll kill every killer in the world.

My name is John Cleaver, and I don't want to kill you. But I will if I have to.
 



My Thoughts on the Book:


 
As you probably know, John Cleaver is a killer of supernatural killers. After he decided to embrace that role for himself, and he challenges another demon, he's been waiting for months  for the demon to show up in Clayton looking for revenge for his friends.

Brooke doesn't talk to him anymore, because she saw how dangerous John actually is, and teenage girls are starting to commit suicide, and John finds this really hard to deal with, thinking what's the point of saving people, if they're only going to kill themselves.

Finally, there's a new killer in town - actually it's a serial killer that has killed before in another place - so John of course starts tracking him down.

One big surprise in this book was Marci. I definitely didn't expect that, and although I wasn't really a fan of her at first, I warmed up to her & in the end I really liked her - she was good for John. She starts helping him in his investigation, and they grew close.

Another surprise was someone else John contacted for help - a priest. Yeah, that was totally unexpected for me, although I guess I should've expected because of the type of prey John hunts, but it was done in a great way, and I loved it & it definitely adds to the story.
 
I don't really know how to continue without including any spoilers about this book & the ending of the trilogy, so I'll have to be really vague ;)

John manages to track down not one, but two serial killers, and also suffers really big loss. That's all I'm going to say about it. It was just so sad & heartbreaking, and suspenseful & a great ending.

As for the ending of the trilogy, I thought it was perfect, so yeah I loved it, brilliant! 

The John Cleaver trilogy has joined my list of all time favs, and I know I'll love reading them again & again. 

I'd also love a spin-off, maybe with an adult John, because I know he would kick some demon butt & be badass about it ;) It's just that John Cleaver is now definitely one of my all time fav characters, so I'd love for more, but I'm happy with the way his story finished, as I said, there's always re-reading.

As always, Dan Wells's writing style was amazing, and it will keep you wrapped up in John Cleaver's world. And now I definitely need to read more of his books, because I know they'll be great, too :)

If you love books that are suspenseful, enthralling, heartbreaking, full of twists & turns, and fun, yet profound, then the John Cleaver trilogy is a trilogy I highly recommend it, because it's one amazingly thrilling ride that you'll remember long after you've finished it!
 


Challenges:


0 comments:

Post a Comment