Jan 9, 2013

"Waiting On" Wednesday #103: Etiquette & Espionage by Gail Carriger!

"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.
 
 
 

 
Etiquette & Espionage
(Finishing School, #1)  
by
Gail Carriger

Publication date:
February 5th, 2013

It's one thing to learn to curtsy properly. It's quite another to learn to curtsy and throw a knife at the same time. Welcome to finishing school.

Fourteen-year-old Sophronia is the bane of her mother's existence. Sophronia is more interested in dismantling clocks and climbing trees than proper etiquette at tea - and god forbid anyone see her atrocious curtsy. Mrs. Temminnick is desperate for her daughter to become a proper lady. She enrolls Sophronia in Mademoiselle Geraldine's Finishing Academy for Young Ladies of Quality.

But little do Sophronia or her mother know that this is a school where ingenious young girls learn to finish, all right - but it's a different kind of finishing. Mademoiselle Geraldine's certainly trains young ladies in the finer arts of dance, dress, and etiquette, but also in the other kinds of finishing: the fine arts of death, diversion, deceit, espionage, and the modern weaponries. Sophronia and her friends are going to have a rousing first year at school.
 
First in a four book YA series set 25 years before the Parasol Protectorate but in the same universe.





What are you waiting for this week?
 
Leave me your WoW links!

20 comments:

  1. I'm not big on books that are set in a much older time, but I recently read this and it was pretty good. Reminds me a bit of Ally Carters Gallagher Girls series :) great pick!

    Stop by to check out my WoW :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so jealous, but I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I saw this one on A GREAT Read - it looks really good. I agree with you that it's one to wait on! Here is my WoW. Old Follower :D Jaclyn @ JC's Book Haven

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was also thinking it sounds a little bit like a historical Gallagher Girls which I love! Might check it out!
    My WOW

    ReplyDelete
  4. Etiquette & Espionage! Yes, yes, yes! I've been waiting for this for the longest times already!

    What I'm Waiting for This Wednesday
    My Enormous TBR Pile

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too :) It sounds so much fun & Gail's books are always fun :D

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. I keep seeing this book around but still haven't added it to my to-read list. I dunno why..it's just for some reason I'm not drawn to it. I can't wait to see your review so I can read it :) Great pick :)

    Here is our WOW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've wanted to read this since the moment it was announced, mainly because I loved the Parasol Protectorate series, and yeah, I love steampunk, so of course I can't wait for the prequel series, and it sounds so much fun :)

      Thanks for stopping by, Tanja!

      Delete
  6. Oh, how I love steampunk! Can't wait for this one as well!

    Nikki @ Books Most Wanted

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm looking forward to this book too. I love reading stories anything related to boarding school ;) Great pick! :D

    Here's my WoW

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds really good, but I have some trouble with historical books. May check it out anyway! :)

    My WOW this week

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am not much of a historical book reader, but this one definitely sounds like it will great. Nice pick...

    Jenea @ Books Live Forever's WoW

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm very excited for this one to release! I loved her Parasol Protectorate series so I have high hopes for this one. :) Great pick!
    My WoW Pick!

    ReplyDelete

  11. My goodness that sounds like a good book. Great pick and Happy Reading! Here is my WoW for this week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice pick! I can’t wait to read this either. I had it as my WoW a few weeks ago.
    Here is My WOW

    ReplyDelete