Sep 13, 2014

"Curtsies & Conspiracies" by Gail Carriger

  
Title: Curtsies & Conspiracies

Author: Gail Carriger
 
Series: Finishing School, #2


My rating: 5 of 5


(Book read on September 9th, 2014.)


Summary:



Does one need four fully-grown foxgloves for decorating a dinner table for six guests? Or is it six foxgloves to kill four fully-grown guests? 

Sophronia's first year at school has certainly been rousing. First, her finishing school is training her to be a spy (won't Mumsy be surprised!). Secondly, she gets mixed up in an intrigue over a stolen device and has a cheese pie thrown at her. Now, as Sophronia sneaks around the dirigible school, eavesdropping on the teachers' quarters and making clandestine climbs to the ship's boiler room, she learns that there may be more to a school trip to London than at first appears...
  
Vampires, werewolves, and humans are all after the prototype Sophronia recovered in Etiquette & Espionage, which has the potential to alter human and supernatural travel. Sophronia must try to uncover who is behind a dangerous plot to control the prototype ... as well as survive the London season with a full dance card.
 
 
 


My Thoughts on the Book:



First of all, I adore the Parasol Protectorate series, and I really enjoyed the first book in this prequel spin-off series Etiquette & Espionage. But, this second book, managed to surprise & amaze me by the fact how awesome it was, and how much I fell in love with all the characters & the story itself.

The story was really interesting & highly entertaining, but what I loved most were the characters, of course. I adore Sophronia. She's like what Alexia Tarabotti would've been like as a young girl, if she wasn't a supernatural. I can totally imagine them being alike. I can probably gush a lot about the reasons why I love her, but I'll stop myself, you'll just have to read it for yourself & see why. But, she would be one awesome & maybe even terrifying spy when she finishes ;)

I also adored the rest of the characters: Dimity, Vieve, Soap, Felix, Sidheag, Pillover, Niall, etc. I can only imagine, what they'll get into in the next book. I'm laughing now just thinking about everything that happened in this book. Believe me, you won't be bored even one second while reading this book. You'll just keep turning the pages, and when it will be over, you'll be left eager for more.

I adored all the banter & interactions between all the characters, no matter if it was just friendly teasing, flirting, or just plotting & scheming. It was fun, charming, interesting, and I had a smile plastered on my face for most of the time while reading this book. Also, Lord Akeldama - that was precious. And that ending - hilarious, but full of awesomeness! I still can't believe what they did & where they did it, and that they actually got away with it - loved it so much!!!

If you enjoy books that will make you laugh, or steampunk books, or historical books, or banter-filled books, or just books full of curious characters & situations, or even better - everything I just mentioned - then Curtsies & Conspiracies and the Finishing School series are the books for you, and I can't recommend them enough!!!
 
 
 

Challenges: 

 

1 comment:

  1. Awesome review! I still need to read this one as well! Read the first one as an ARC so I am long overdue to read this one! Great review!

    ReplyDelete