Mar 22, 2011

#37 - "Mysteries" by Knut Hamsun


Title: Mysteries
Author: Knut Hamsun


Summary:
The main character, like the title says, is a mysterious guy. 
Nagel arrives in a Norwegian town with plenty of money and goodwill, and though kind of an eccentric, seems to start to fit in with the local crowd. But it's almost as if Nagel only just landed on Earth, and while he wishes to live correctly, has no idea how to do it. 
Published at the end of the last century, Mysteries is an existentialist novel, very strange, often very funny, often sad and largely asking the question, "Why live?".

My rating: 3 of 5

My thoughts on the book:
I didn't quite know what to expect when I borrowed this book, 'cause I haven't read any of Hamsun's books, and although it's not quite my type of book, I still liked it! It's just as the last sentence in the summary above says: it's funny & really strange & sad. I liked the main character Nagel, he was quite unpredictable what will do or will say next, although the ending wasn't a surprise.

Challenges:

0 comments:

Post a Comment