May 31, 2014

"The Summer I Found You" by Jolene Perry


Title: The Summer I Found You

Author: Jolene Perry

Publisher: Albert Whitman & Conpany

Imprint: Albert Whitman Teen

Publication date: March 1st, 2014


My rating: 4 of 5


(Book read on May 20th, 2014, from the review copy received from the publisher via NetGalley, in exchange of an honest review.)
  
 

Summary:



All they have in common is that they're less than perfect. And all they're looking for is the perfect distraction.
 
Kate's dream boyfriend has just broken up with her and she's still reeling from her diagnosis of type 1 diabetes. Aidan planned on being a lifer in the army and went to Afghanistan straight out of high school. Now he's a disabled young veteran struggling to embrace his new life. When Kate and Aidan find each other neither one wants to get attached. But could they be right for each other after all? 
 
 
  

My Thoughts on the Book:



Ok, so when I started this book, I wasn't sure if I'll like it, because of the veteran thing, but surprisingly I did. 

The Summer I Found You is a beautiful YA contemporary read about two people that had suffered a surprising event in their life that had changed their lives forever, and about how they're coping with it.

First of all, I have to mention something that I disliked after reading this book. This book isn't set in the summer, so why the title? I actually quite like the rest of the title, it fits the story, but it should've been The Spring I Found You, not summer. This book is set in spring! It's like the one that came up with the season haven't even read the book, so I really doubt it's the author, probably the publisher or someone else responsible for marketing who thought it would be better title so they can promote it as a summer book. I don't know for sure, I'm just guessing & rambling, so don't mind me. Anyway, back to the book and what was inside it ;)

Kate was likable enough character, even though she didn't want to face the reality about her health. She was just going around, pretending that nothing is wrong & nothing has changed, like maybe if she pretend it didn't happen, it will go away by itself. I could understand her acting like that, but I also liked that when someone finally got through to her about how serious it actually is, and how her decisions influense on her health & on the rest around her, she doesn't act stubborn or pretend anymore, but does everything she can to help herself, because in the end, if you don't want to help yourself, no one can help you when it comes to a condition like that.

As for Aidan, poor Aidan. He's actually quite an amazing guy, and I really liked him as a character. And I really liked that he still doesn't give up, even though often wants to. But, he pushes on & somehow goes on, day by day, even though he doesn't know what to do with his life anymore.

I really liked the interactions between Aidan & Kate. There was just something simmering between them from the moment they met, some kind of connection. They start to hang out together, more for a distraction, but what starts like a distraction, slowly turns into something more, and I really enjoyed seeing their relationship develop & I really liked them together.

What I didn't like was the fact that Kate wasn't as sincere with Aidan as he was with her, especially after he thoroughly opened up to her, and she kept hiding her condition, which I just thought it was plain not fair to him. So, of course, everything blows up in her face, and she gets quite the wake up call. I didn't want to be in her shoes right then, but she definitely deserved it.

I really enjoyed The Summer I Found You because the couple worked for me. It was good, fun & sad read, without a lot of drama, yet dealing with some serious issues, and overall I enjoyed the complete package, so I recommend this book!
 
 
 

Challenges:


0 comments:

Post a Comment