May 27, 2014

Emily and the Strangers Volume 1: The Battle of the Bands


Title: Emily and the Strangers Volume 1: The Battle of the Bands

Authors: Rob Reger & Mariah Huehner

Illustrator: Emily Ivie

Series: Emily & the Strangers, #1 - #3

Publisher: Dark Horse Comics

Publication date: May 27th, 2014


My rating: 3 of 5


(Graphic novel read on may 2nd, 2014, from the review copy received from the publisher via NetGalley in an exchange of an honest review.)


Summary:



In order to win a legendary haunted guitar, Emily is determined to create the most rockin' song the world has ever known!
 
But can she do it solo?
  
Emily isn't known for playing well with others, but she's going to have to rely on the help of some strangers if she's going to succeed on her musical journey to the true heart of rock 'n' roll!
 
Emily the Strange creator Rob Reger teams up with co-writer Mariah Huehner (True Blood, Angel) and artist Emily Ivie (The Locked Maze, Rotsterarsil) for a brand-new, full-color Emily the Strange mini-series full of troublemaking cats, mad science, new friends, and killer guitar riffs!




My Thoughts on the Graphic Novel:



I haven't read an Emily novel before, even though I've heard of them, so this was my first taste of her & the strangeness that surrounds her ;) And, I have to say, that I actually quite liked it.

Emily is one quite quirky & strange character, and she's brilliant & really interesting, so I really liked her. Her cats, too. The rest of the cast was quite interesting & strange as well, and I really liked them, too.

The story was interesting enough, but it was only ok. But, what I actually really loved & what impressed me was the art. The art & the illustrations are quite beautiful & stunning & amazing, and definitely brought life to the characters & the story.

If you enjoy graphic novels, or you're just fan of Emily the Strange, I recommend the Volume 1 of Emily & the Strangers!
 
 
 

Challenges:


1 comment:

  1. I'm just getting into graphic novels. The idea this one focuses on a strange girl appeals to me greatly. Great review.

    ReplyDelete