May 20, 2014

"Deadlock" by Tim Curran

   
Title: Deadlock

Author: Tim Curran

Publisher: DarkFuse

Publication date: May 27th, 2014


My rating: 3 of 5
 
 
(Read on May 1st, 2014,  from a review copy received from the publisher via NetGalley, in exchange of an honest review.)


Summary:



Charlie Petty is a man known for having ice water in this veins. He never backs down and is never shaken but unfortunately stirred up into the wrong crowd. As a degenerate gambler, his luck has run out and his debt has now come due.

Charlie is offered a chance to clear his tab: simply stay alone on a ship overnight to prove to its owner and potential crew that it's not cursed nor haunted. Never mind the ship's history of suicide, violence, mutiny and murder. Or how the ship's past crews have gone missing or insane. The fact that no one has set foot on deck in darkness for years doesn't phase Charlie one bit. It sounds like easy money to bust up a superstition or two.

Charlie thinks his luck is returning. Little does he know it's about to run out completely.
 

  

My Thoughts on the Book:

 
 
Deadlock is an interesting read. It was imaginative, but not quite my kind of read. Some parts were quite good, but some weren't, and I just couldn't enjoy the story. The main character was quite unlikable, though I wouldn't want to be in his shoes. Seriously, you can't pay me enough to spend time on that boat.

What stopped me from enjoying this book was that most of what was happening on the boat to Charlie (not the things before, I loved seeing that, so heartbreaking & scary, but the Charlie's "adventures") were just plain repulsive. It's a thin line between dark, gritty, eerie, horrific, gruesome and just plain disgusting, repulsive & nauseating. So, since the author passed that line for me, I couldn't enjoy this read.

It was still an interesting read, and the ending was kinda cool. So if you enjoy horror stories that are on the weird side, give this one a shot.
 
 

Challenges:


1 comment:

  1. This definitely fell on the gruesome/disgusting side of the genre, but having read 2 of his books before, I knew what to expect.

    ReplyDelete