Nov 27, 2014

"Half-Off Ragnarok" by Seanan McGuire


Title: Half-Off Ragnarok

Author: Seanan McGuire

Series: InCryptid, #3


My rating: 3.5 of 5


(Book read on November 13th to November 22nd, 2014.) 
  
 

Summary:



What do gorgons, basilisks, and frogs with feathers all have in common? They're all considered mythological by modern science, and some people are working very hard to keep them that way.

Alexander Price is a member of a cryptozoological lineage that spans generations, and it's his job to act as a buffer between the human and cryptid worlds - not an easy task when you're dealing with women who have snakes in place of hair, little girls who may actually be cobras, and oh, right, brilliant, beautiful, distressingly curious Australian zookeepers. And then there's the matter of the murders...

Alex thought he was choosing the easier career when he decided to specialize in non-urban cryptids, leaving the cities to his little sister, Verity. He had no idea what he was letting himself in for. It's a family affair, and everyone - from his reanimated grandfather to his slightly broken telepathic cousin - is going to find themselves drawn in before things get any better.

There are some things that you can train for. And then there are the things you have to figure out on the fly. This is definitely the latter.

 
 
 
My Thoughts on the Book:
 
 
I adored the first two InCryptid books, and I adored almost all of the short stories set in the world, no matter the point-of-view, or the time period. I actually appreciated learning more about the Healy/Price family, and their friends. So, yes, I'm totally addicted to the awesomeness of the InCryptid world the author created, and its characters.

That being said, Half-Off Ragnarok was a little bit of a disappointment - at first. Despite appreciating the fact that it was absolutely obvious that the point-of-view is a different character, Alex Price is no Verity. So, yes, after her books & her awesomeness, Alex & his story felt boring. It started slow (though I loved that first scene), and Alex is this sciency, quiet guy, that would be happy if he spends all of his days doing research. So, yes, he was a little bit on the nerdy, but boring side. But, slowly, and before this book was over, I warmed up to him, and quite liked him as a character, really enjoyed the story, and can't wait to see what will happen next. After all, he is a Price, and he shows it. 

As for Shelby, I had to warm up to her, too. I did not saw that coming about her character. But, I found it to be quite amusing & delightful & funny, and I liked seeing her & Alex getting closer. When the book starts, they're already in a relationship, and before the story was over, I liked them together. Actually, they just might be perfect for each other.

The story itself was entertaining (after the boring beginning passed), funny, full of danger & mystery, and despite sometimes being predictable, I enjoyed the book quite a lot. Also, I loved meeting new Cryptids, and learning more about the Cryptid world, and learning more about the Price family. Loved the Aeslin mice (of course), I loved Crow, and even though it was heartbreaking seeing Sarah in that condition, I loved the fact that she is getting better, too.

Half-Off Ragnarok is a good addition to the InCryptid series, and it actually made me even more excited about the next chapter, especially because Alex is going to Australia, and I can't wait! It's still one of my fav urban fantasy series, probably my most fav urban fantasy world, and I can't recommend the series enough!
 
 
 

Challenges: 


0 comments:

Post a Comment