Jul 7, 2014

"Up From the Grave" by Jeaniene Frost


Title: Up From the Grave

Author: Jeaniene Frost

Series: Night Huntress, #7
 

My rating: 4.5 of 5

 
(Book read on July 4th-5th, 2014.)
 

Summary:

 
 
There’s always one more grave to dig.

Lately, life has been unnaturally calm for vampires Cat Crawfield and her husband Bones. They should have known better than to relax their guard, because a shocking revelation sends them back into action to stop an all-out war… 

A rogue CIA agent is involved in horrifying secret activities that threaten to raise tensions between humans and the undead to dangerous heights. Now Cat and Bones are in a race against time to save their friends from a fate worse than death…because the more secrets they unravel, the deadlier the consequences. And if they fail, their lives — and those of everyone they hold dear — will be hovering on the edge of the grave.
 



My Thoughts on the Book:



Up From the Grave is the final Night Huntress book. As the finale of one of my favorite series with some of my favorite characters, Up From the Grave was both everything I wished for, and what I didn't. I was a little bit reluctant about reading it, because the last full-length novel was so disappointing, just wasn't good, and the quality started to decline with the book before that, and despite loving the novella Home for the Holidays, I was still reluctant, and I was right to be.

At first, I absolutely loved the book. The first two 3rds of the book were amazing, and reminded me of everything I loved in the series, and why I got addicted to it. I loved the action & the kicking ass, and the awesomeness of it all, and I loved being reminded how much exactly Cat & Bones love each other. I won't go into details, but it was amazing, and I started wondering why I've been reluctant about picking up this book. 

But, then, something else happened, something that started to decline my enjoyment of this book, that almost destroyed the series & the finale for me (though I'm trying to forget about it). SPOILERS ahead. That thing was Katie. I didn't mind her existence at first. I actually thought she's Cat's clone, but when it was revealed she was her daughter, I didn't like it. But, when it was revealed who probably her father is, yeah, I started to get pissed. Also, that whole storyline was so boring. First, Cat & Bones (with the help of Denise) kick some serious butt, and then they're pretty much useless, and they need lots of help. It kinda sucked, especially compared with the previous events in the book. I know how & why happened, but it still sucked & didn't make any sense to me. All I'm going to say is - they were lucky to have Denise & Ian on their side, as well as a few of the others. Oh, yeah, and I still really don't like Tate.

Now, to forget about the bad things, and talk about the things I loved. My most favorite thing being - Ian! I adore Ian! Even though I want more of him, and I'm wishing for a book or series of his own, at the same time, I don't want him to change - like EVER! I adore him just like he is. (I keep picturing Ian & William from Gena Showalter's Lords of the Underworld series - they could be best friends, and I adore them both, with all of their faults). Back to this book, I didn't mind seeing all the old favs - I still really liked them as characters, and I had lots of fun with the story they delivered. It was a little bit on the unbelieving side, even for a supernatural story, but overall, it was really good. And I'm always going to love Cat & Bones, but it was time for their story to end.

Despite the mixed feelings for the last part of this book (I'm trying to ignore it), Up From the Grave was a great finale to the series, that every fan of the series should read, and I highly recommend it.

 
 

Challenges: 


0 comments:

Post a Comment