Jun 6, 2014

"The Vicious Deep" by Zoraida Córdova


Title: The Vicious Deep

Author: Zoraida Córdova

Series: The Vicious Deep, #1


My rating: 3.5 of 5


(Book read from May 25th to June 4th, 2014.) 


Summary:



For Tristan Hart, everything changes with one crashing wave. 
 
He was gone for three days. Sucked out to sea in a tidal wave and spit back ashore at Coney Island with no memory of what happened. Now his dreams are haunted by a terrifying silver mermaid with razor-sharp teeth. 
 
His best friend Layla is convinced something is wrong. But how can he explain he can sense emotion like never before? How can he explain he's heir to a kingdom he never knew existed? That he's suddenly a pawn in a battle as ancient as the gods. 
 
Something happened to him in those three days. He was claimed by the sea...and now it wants him back.
 
 


My Thoughts on the Book:



The Vicious Deep is fun & interesting YA fantasy story featuring merpeople & lots of other paranormal creatures.

The world was interesting enough, as well as the story, but for over half of this book I had trouble liking the characters.

Tristan was really funny, and although I wouldn't say unlikable character, there was just something that stopped me from liking him, though after the quest was announced, (and I totally perked up at the mention of it), I kinda started warming up to him, and when The Vicious Deep was over, I liked him as a character, and I was definitely eager to pick up the next book The Savage Blue.

I also really didn't like Kurt & Maddy, (and most of Tristan's friends, with the exception of Ryan, who was the only likable character among them), definitely undecided about Gwen, but I'm pretty sure I don't like her, and as for Layla, she was only likable enough (ok character, but I didn't like or dislike her). The only two characters that I liked right away were Thalia & Marty, though Tristan's father, mother & grandfather were also likable enough. So, yeah, all of that diminished my enjoyment. When you really like/love as characters only two of the secondary characters, it definitely influences on the whole reading experience.

Also, I found the story a little bit boring & predictable. I kept waiting for something interesting to happen for over half of the book, but when the quest was announced, I was really happy, because finally there was something to keep me interested. It has been such a long time since I've read a book with a quest, so I definitely perked up (it sounds weird using this word/expression, but it describes me perfectly at that moment). So, what I thought will be a typical YA fantasy novel featuring merpeople, turned out to be a nice mix of adventure, fantasy & paranormal, and I kinda started enjoying myself more & more, and I'm really looking forward to reading the sequel now. From here, it can only get better (I hope).

If you enjoy books with mermaids, interesting worlds & quests, The Vicious Deep is a nice beginning to a new trilogy, and I recommend it!
 
 
 

Challenges:


0 comments:

Post a Comment