Aug 1, 2013

"The 5th Wave" by Rick Yancey


Title: The 5th Wave

Author: Rick Yancey

Series: The Fifth Wave, #1


My rating: 4.5 of 5


(Book read from July 23rd to July 31st, 2013.)


Summary:

 
 
After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one.

Now, it’s the dawn of the 5th wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth’s last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, Cassie believes, until she meets Evan Walker. Beguiling and mysterious, Evan Walker may be Cassie’s only hope for rescuing her brother - or even saving herself. But Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up.
   
 


My Thoughts on the Book:



I think that probably everyone have heard about The 5th Wave. I was actually surprised by the hype that started to surround this book. I already wanted to read it, because I absolutely loved Rick Yancey's The Monstrumologist, and I wanted to read more of his books, and a sci-fi book set in an apocalyptic / post-apocalyptic world - I'm so in! And then, the awesome reviews started to come up, and the hype with it, and I was glad about it. And even though I knew I will probably enjoy a lot this book, I wasn't sure if I'll love it as much as everyone else, mostly because after reading The Monstrumologist, I knew it's mostly impossible to be as amazing as that one, even though these are completely 2 different type of books.

So, what did I think about The 5th Wave? Overall, I thought it was a great read. I loved the different PoVs. I didn't know about them, I thought it will be only from Cassie's PoV, so this was a pleasant surprise, because I love good use of multiple perspectives, and Rick Yancey delivered. I especially loved how he used them to tell the story with them from different aspects. 

I thought the story was entertaining & interesting, and mostly engaging, even though it reminded me one part of it to Ender's Game. Also, I have to admit that it took me some time to get into the story. But, slowly I did, and when the different perspectives were revealed, I was sold ;)

I also really liked all the characters. I slowly warmed up to Cassie, she was likable & realistic & persistant, and a fighter. Also, she made me laugh, too :) I absolutely loved her little brother Sammy, his point of view was a treat for me, because while reading the Silencer PoV, I was thinking that I would love Sammy's, but I didn't think I'll get it, so this made me quite happy :D I also really, really liked Evan. I knew about him of course, but I don't think anyone can stop themselves from liking him, he was a great character. And then there's "Zombie". When Nugget showed up, I was both happy & sad for them both, and although it was predictable, I totally loved it, so of course I liked him a lot, too.

This book was sad & fun, with really likable characters, interesting story, action, heartbreak, and a suspenseful ending that kept me on the edge of my sit, and actually made me love this book even more.

So, yeah, I recommend this book a lot. Forget about the hype, just go in without any expectations, and you'll get a treat ;) I think that it's almost impossible for anyone not to at least enjoy this book, so if you're a fan of science fiction or apocalyptic/post-apocalyptic books, then The 5th Wave is a book for you!
 


Challenges:


6 comments:

  1. I think I'll have to read The Monstrumologist (took me a while to spell that right haha). If it's anywhere near as good as The 5th Wave it's probably worth a read!
    I also really liked the different POVs, although at times it did seem a bit as if it was the same character speaking.
    Nice review Aleksandra :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me a while to spell it, too, at first, but now it's easy, since I've been typing it lots of times since I read it ;) And it's amazing, but really, really different, it's actually horror. I still need to catch up on the series, the last one will come out this fall I think :D I hope you'll read it & enjoy it!

      I didn't have the trouble with distinguishing the PoVs, I knew right away who it is, but maybe that's just me ;)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
    2. Ooo horror. I don't usually really read much horror, but I'll definitely have to give it a try!

      Delete
    3. You should, it's absolutely amazing, and it's YA, so you must check it out :)

      Delete
  2. OOoh nice review!! I bought a copy of this once I read only the first 2-3 that I came across. Still haven't read it yet, but am trying to work it into my schedule! Curious now about Rick's other book! Haven't heard of this author before and now that you say you loved his first book I might have to look into that one as well!!

    Great review! Very much looking forward to this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll enjoy it when you get to it :)

      And I highly recommend The Monstrumologist, I think you'll love it :D It's been almost 3 years since I read it & I still remember it in details, it was that much amazing :D although I think that one isn't his first book, I think he had written others before, although this is the 1st one of his I've read :)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete