Apr 26, 2014

Dewey's 24-Hour Read-a-Thon: Start + Goals + Reading List + Mini Challenges + Updates + Wrap Up!


It's that time again, time for Dewey's 24-Hour Read-a-Thon.
  
As always, the read-a-thon for me starts at 2 pm on Saturday, and ends at 2 pm on Sunday.
  
And this will be my 9th time participating (I know, I can't believe it, too). 
  
This time, I decided to do things differently. I'll count the time I've spent reading, and the number of pages I've read, and I decided to read only full-length novels, and only physical books from my TBR shelf, so no eARCs & Kindle ebooks or shorter reads & graphic novels or novellas this time. There are some other things I'm hoping to do, like visiting the other blogs participating (even though I didn't sign up to be a cheerleader), tweeting a lot, participating in mini challenges, and hopefully update often & read a lot, of course ;)
  
   

My Reading List:

  
  
~ Ashes on the Waves by Mary Lindsey (3 + 373 p)
~ Alien in the Family by Gini Koch (457 p)
~ This Strange & Familiar Place by Rachel Carter (264 p)

  
~ Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore (547 p)
~ Still Sucks to Be Me by Kimberly Pauley (374 p)
~ The Vicious Deep by Zoraida Cordova (370 p)
  

My Goals:

  
~ to read 12 hours
~ to read 750 pages
~ to read 1 full-length book (to start & finish it)
~ to visit 50 read-a-thon participants
~ to do the 3 read-a-thon memes (the start, half-way through & end of event memes)
~ to participate in 3 challenges


Mini Challenges & Memes:


 ~ Kick Off Meme:
  
1. Today (as always) I'm reading from Skopje, Macedonia (that's in Europe).
2. I'm really looking forward to Alien in the Family by Gini Koch, as well as Ashes on the Waves by Mary Lindsey.
3. I made cheesecake, so I'm really looking forward to trying it.
4. I'm a read-a-thon addict (I haven't missed a Dewey Read-a-Thon in years since it's my fav), & I adore Neil Gaiman's books.
5. The last time it was actually my birthday, so I didn't read a lot, so this time I'm planning to read a lot, visit lots of participants, I have a lot more snacks ready, and I'm tracking both the time & the pages, and I'm reading only full-length books from my TBR shelf, and only physical ones, no ebooks or shorter reads, so that's definitely different.


~ The Best of Your Reading Year

Best Book of My Reading Year: Stiltskin by Andrew Buckley

Best Romance Book of My Reading Year: Attachments by Rainbow Rowell

Best MG Book of My Reading Year: Tesla's Attic by neal Shusterman & Eric Elfman


~ Mid Event Meme

1. I'm still reading Ashes on the Waves by Mary Lindsey.
2. I haven't finished anything so far.
3. Alien in the Family by Gini Koch - I'm actually thinking about starting it now, and return to my first read later.
4. Not really, except telling everyone I'm busy. I made sure I'm free (mostly).
5. Yeah, I had quite the interruption. Like over 3 hours long. It was unplanned, but, in the end, I didn't really mind, because my cousin & her husband are leaving the country in a couple of days. After all, they're family.
6. No cheerleaders so far :( Hopefully, someone will cheer me on later ;)
7. No.
8. Nothing, I might choose shorter reads next time (like all the times before) instead of full-length novels.
9. Actually, I am getting tired, or maybe I should say sleepy, but it's almost 2 am here, so...
10. No tips, just to have fun, read as much as you like & have lots of different choices to read. Also, join the read-a-thon chat on Twitter, it's fun & motivating.


~ Your Name in Titles 
      
A - Attachments by Rainbow Rowell
L - Lola & the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins
E - Eona by Alison Goodman
K - Kinslayer by Jay Kristoff
S - Scarlet by Marissa Meyer
A - Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake
N - Naturally, Charlie by S. L. Scott
D - Discount Armageddon by Seanan McGuire
R - Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
A - Another Little Piece of My Heart by Tracy Martin



~ End of Event Meme

1. Around hours 14/15, I didn't feel like reading, so despite the fact that I wasn't sleepy, I went to bed.
2. Neil Gaiman's shorter books are great picks. I think that Rainbow Rowell's & Victoria Schwab's books are others that would be great for a read-a-thon.
3. No.
4. I loved connecting on Twitter, and I really loved all the challenges, too :)
5. One book.
6. Ashes on the Waves by Mary Lindsey.
7. Ashes on the Waves by Mary Lindsey.
8. None.
9. No.
10. I'm 99% sure I'll participate next time as a reader.

    

Update #1:

  
Time read so far: 1 h 58 min

Pages read so far: 115

Books read from so far: Ashes on the Waves by Mary Lindsey

Number of read-a-thoners I've visited so far: 0

Memes/Challenges I've participated in so far: 3 - Intro Meme + Puzzle Cover Challenge + Pick a Paragraph


Update #2:

 
Time read since my last update: 1 h 45 min

Total time read: 3 h 43 min

Pages read since my last update: 104

Total pages read: 219

Books read from since my last update: Ashes on the Waves

Total number of books read: 0

Number of read-a-thoners I've visited since my last update: 0

Total number of read-a-thoners I've visited: 0

Memes/Challenges I've participated in since my last update: 3 - The Best of Your Reading Year + Shelfie + First Editions
  
Total number of memes/challenges I've participated in: 6
   


Update #3:

 
Time read since my last update: 1 h

Total time read: 4 h 43 min

Pages read since my last update: 42

Total pages read: 261

Books read from since my last update: Alien in the Family

Total number of books read: 0

Number of read-a-thoners I've visited since my last update: 13

Total number of read-a-thoners I've visited: 13

Memes/Challenges I've participated in since my last update: 3 - Mid Event Meme + Your Name in Titles + That Reminds Me of a Book
  
Total number of memes/challenges I've participated in: 9
  
 

Final Update:

 
Time read since my last update: 3 h 12 min

Total time read: 7 h 55 min

Pages read since my last update: 193

Total pages read: 454

Books read from since my last update: Ashes on the Waves + Alien in the Family

Total number of books read: 1 - Ashes on the Waves

Number of read-a-thoners I've visited since my last update: 13

Total number of read-a-thoners I've visited: 13

Memes/Challenges I've participated in since my last update: 1 - End of Event Meme
  
Total number of memes/challenges I've participated in:10
  

Wrap Up:


I didn't do as well as I hoped, I just didn't feel like reading, but I did 10 mini challenges, which is a record for me ;) And at least I read one full-length book. So, not as great as I hoped for, but still good. I spent almost 8 hours reading, read 450+ pages, and I also started Alien in the Family.

2 comments:

  1. Yay, we're in the same time zone, lol! :D Have fun and good luck :)

    ReplyDelete