Feb 20, 2013

"The Light" + "The Black" by D. J. MacHale



Title: The Light

Author: D. J. MacHale
 
Series: Morpheus Road #1



My rating: 5 of 5


(Book re-read from my own copy  from November 28 to December 03, 2012)

Summary:



Marshall Seaver is being haunted...

It begins with mysterious sounds, a fleeting face outside a window, a rogue breeze - all things that can be explained away. That is, until he comes face-to-face with a character who only exists on the pages of a sketchbook - a character Marshall himself created.

Marshall has no idea why he is being tormented, but he is quickly convinced it has to do with his best friend, Cooper, who has gone missing. Together with Cooper's beautiful but aloof sister Sydney, Marshall searches for the truth about his friend while ultimately uncovering a nightmare that is bigger and more frightening than anything he could ever have imagined.



 

My Thoughts on the Book:



Ok, so this is the 3rd time I read The Light - the first book in the Morpheus Road trilogy - and I have already reviewed it twice, but I have to do it again because I love it so much, and want to spread the love for the trilogy, but I'll try to keep it short ;)

Marshall Seaver is a loner in a way. He's an artist, he keeps sketching his creepy character Gravedigger again & again, and spends most of his time with his best (and only) friend Cooper Foley! Also, he has lost his mother a couple of years ago, and has a crush on Cooper's older sister Sydney. So, after having a really big fight with Cooper, strange things start to happen to Marshall. He's freaked out of course, especially after seeing Gravedigger - a character from his own imagination - who tries to kill him again & again. So, when he tries to contact Cooper, he finds out that he's been missing. So, Marshall, together with Cooper's sister, Sydney, try to find Cooper, while trying to stay alive.    

The Light is a book that will keep you on the edge of your sit from the beginning until the end! This being my 3rd time I've read this book, I didn't found it as creepy as I did the previous 2 times, but it was still a thrilling read that I found exciting & fun & sad & eerie, with such a great mystery, and once again I loved every second of it. I loved Marshall as a character, and I love the way he grows up through the book. I also loved both Cooper & Sydney, they're such great characters, too. Most of this book is from Marshall's PoV, with a little from Sydney, and an epilogue from someone unexpected ;) 
So, if you're a fan of books with lots of thrills & chills and lots of twists & turns, then this is a book for you!!! I can't recommend it enough!





Title: The Black

Author: D. J. MacHale
 
Series: Morpheus Road #3 



My rating: 5 of 5



(Book re-read from my own copy  from December 05, 2012 to January 09, 2013)
 
 
 

A Note of Warning: 

 
If you haven't read The Light, and you'd like to, then DON'T read the summary of The Black, because it has lots of important spoilers!

Summary:


This isn't what Cooper Foley expected death to be like... 
Cooper Foley has landed square in the middle of a border war between the worlds of the living and the dead. He's always had a knack for finding trouble, but nothing has prepared him for this. 
At the end of The Light, book one of the Morpheus Road trilogy, Marshall Seaver learned what really happened to his missing best friend, Cooper. Now the mystery continues, only this time through Cooper's eyes. 
What did Marshall's terrifying encounter with Gravedigger have to do with spirits from another existence? Who is Damon? What role did he play in Cooper's dilemma? And most important, what is the mysterious Morpheus Road? All of existence hangs in the balance as Cooper races against time to find answers.




 

My Thoughts on the Book:


So, The Black was also a re-read for me, but it was only the 2nd time I've read this book ;) Once again I was totally wrapped up in the events happening in this book. We follow Cooper and what happened to him. He's such a fun character, and got stuck in the middle of events that didn't concern him, well, until Damon decided to involve him :) We learn about the Morpheus Road, and we learn more about Damon & about Marshall's Mom a.k.a the events that started this whole thing. We also meet Maggie - I really liked her - and she & Cooper were really sweet together. Also, there was a mystery involving her, and that one was totally unexpected, so another awesome subplot by D. J. MacHale. I don't want to go into too many details, because I dislike spoilers, but this books was really great sequel, that was full of thrills, suspense, mystery & action, so you'll find yourself unable to stop turning the pages, wanting to know what will happen next? And that epilogue, so sad, yet amazing, and will make you want to pick up the last book - The Blood - right away! If you've enjoyed The Light, you will definitely enjoy this one, too, so I can't recommend it enough.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment