Oct 1, 2013

"The Enchanter Heir" by Cinda Williams Chima


Title: The Enchanter Heir

Author: Cinda Williams Chima

Series: The Heir Chronicles, #4


My rating: 5 of 5


(Book read from August 22nd to September 30th, 2013 - from an eARC received from the publisher via NetGalley, in exchange of an honest review.)   


Summary:



They called it the Thorn Hill Massacre-the brutal attack on a once-thriving Weir community. Though Jonah Kinlock lived through it, he did not emerge unscathed: like the other survivors Jonah possesses unique magical gifts that set him apart from members of the mainline guilds. At seventeen, Jonah has become the deadliest assassin in Nightshade, a network that hunts the undead.

Emma Claire Greenwood grew up worlds away, raised by a grandfather who taught her music rather than magic. An unschooled wild child, she runs the streets until the night she finds her grandfather dying, gripping a note warning Emma that she might be in danger. The clue he leaves behind leads Emma into Jonah's life-and a shared legacy of secrets and lingering questions.

Was Thorn Hill really a peaceful commune? Or was it, as the Wizard Guild claims, a hotbed of underguild terrorists? The Wizards' suspicions grow when members of the mainline guilds start turning up dead. They blame Nightshade, bringing tensions between the groups to a head.

Racing against time, Jonah and Emma work to uncover the truth about Thorn Hill, amid increasing concern that whoever planned the Thorn Hill Massacre might strike again.
 
   
  

My Thoughts on the Book:



Cinda Williams Chima is one of my favorite authors. I've read & loved all of her books. It's been a few years since I've read the first 3 Heir Chronicles books, so I can't say how this one compares to them, but it was such a great book, with memorable characters that I couldn't help but care for. Also, I loved seeing my favorite characters from the previous 3 books.

I loved the way the author expanded the world in this book, and from the beginning she captured my attention, and I was hooked, I just knew she has done it again. 

In this book we meet Jonah & Emma - the main characters, as well as lots of great & interesting secondary characters. I really liked Emma as a character, and Jonah, poor sweet bad boy Jonah - my heart was breaking for him over & over again in this book. Why? I won't say, but his powers made me so sad for him - he's really bad ass & deadly, yet talented, but sometimes sucks to be so dangerous, and Jonah is the perfect example. So, yeah, he carved himself a special place in my heart, and I do hope he'll get himself a HEA in the next book. Also, he did remind me just a little bit of Han from the Seven Realms series, but it was just a tiny bit, it was more about the situations they both find themselves & how they reacted, than the characters themselves, but I didn't mind, because I love them both.

I have to mention that Cinda Williams Chima really raised the bar with her Seven Realms series, so I had to stop myself from comparing The Enchanter Heir to those books while reading it, especially because even though both are fantasy, they're quite different.

Also, if you haven't read The Warrior Heir, The Wizard Heir & The Dragon Heir, you can definitely read The Enchanter Heir, you won't be lost, but this book had quite big spoilers for all of those books, so if you want to read them later, you will definitely be spoiled, so I don't recommend reading first this one if you want to read all the books - they should definitely be read in order in that case, although books 1-3 must be read in order.

What I was surprised in this book was the big presense of the music itself. I love books with music, bands, etc, and the author has done it an amazing job with this, it definitely brought a lot to the mood of the book, as well as the characters themselves. Also, I loved her twist on zombies, although to be honest I read something similar in another book, but it was also quite different, and I loved all the action & butt-kicking in the book, too.

I don't want to go into details about the story, but I loved it. It had everything you'd wish for: mystery, magic, intrigue, music, action, suspense, heartbreak, romance, and most of all amazing characters, set in an amazing world, and I can't wait for the next book, I know that the waiting will be torture, especially with that cliffhanger, although I never want Cinda's books to end.

I highly recommend The Enchanter Heir & the Heir Chronicles to every fan of fantasy, as well as everything from Cinda Williams Chima, because she creates these magnificent worlds with her imagination & brings amazing characters to life with her words, so yeah, her books are a must-read!

I know I will read them all again & again, and The Enchanter Heir is one of my favs now, too, and it only made me move up the first 3 Heir Chronicles books on my re-read list, so yeah, I highly recommend them!

 
 

Challenges:

 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for recommendations, I'll definitely add her books to my to-read list. They sounds great & I love high fantasy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome :) Both series are great, although the Seven Realms is more amazing, and it's high/epic fantasy, while the Heir Chronicles although are fantasy, not really high/epic, but close enough ;)
      I hope you'll try them & enjoy them!

      Delete