Feb 11, 2013

"The Desert Spear" by Peter V. Brett



Title: The Desert Spear

Author: Peter V. Brett
 
Series: Demon Cycle #2



My rating: 5 of 5


(Book re-read from my own copy  from February 6-10, 2013)
 
 

Summary:


 
Monsters do not always hide in the shadows... 

Two saviours. 
Two armies ready to fight the darkness. 


Out of the southern desert rides Ahmann Jardir, a warrior king who has claimed the title Shar’Dama Ka, the Deliverer reborn. A vast army marches in his wake, intent on holy war against the demon plague and determined to recruit others to their cause, willing or not.

But the northerners have named their own Deliverer: the Painted Man, a dark, forbidding figure whom the Shar’Dama Ka once called brother. 

Betrayal has turned the two friends into fierce adversaries, and only time will tell who is strong enough to withstand the might of the demons as they strive to obliterate humanity's defences once and for all.


  


My Thoughts on the book:
 
So, this one was another re-read for me, so what are my thoughts now after reading it for the 2nd time? Well, the first time I read The Desert Spear, I thought the part with Jardir's past was a little long & slow, but this time that wasn't the case. I just flew right through it, and I didn't think that the pacing was slow. Maybe it has something to do with all the important details I noticed now, that I didn't know will be important later on the first time I read this book, but now having already read it before, I knew their importance, so I appreciated them more, so, I loved reading about Jardir's past. It was just great seeing how Jardir became the man he is, and to understand him. I can't say that I liked him as a character, but I didn't dislike him either. I still hate what he did to Arlen, although I don't blame only Jardir for that, because he really took it hard betraying Arlen. Anyway, I'm dying to read the scene when they'll probably meet again in The Daylight War, although yeah, they'll probably try to kill each other ;) 
 
We also got back to see what happened to Renna. I really liked Renna as a character, yeah, she got through lots of bad things, too :( and it was just so sad :( but she defended herself & saved herself, but just when she was giving up, Arlen swooped up & saved her. Yeah, that was so awesome. Arlen in the flesh, showing everyone what is right & what isn't, as always stands up for the helpless. That's definitely one of the things I love about him as a character. Meeting Renna means that he finally visited the people from his past. I would've loved to see Cob again, so that was too bad, but I loved seeing Elissa & Ragen again, but I loved the Renna & Arlen interactions the most.
 
We also have Leesha's & Rojer's PoVs. I still really liked Rojer as a character, he often made me smile, as for Leesha, I'll say that I didn't like her as much as I did before, although I still liked her as a character overall in this book. We also have Abban's PoV, he's one cunning character, and of course we get to see a closer look to Inevera. She's definitely an intriguing character that I want to know more about, so I was really happy when Peat announced that there'll be more about her past in The Daylight War
 
As for the story, it was great.  There was lots of action, some politics, some laughs, lots of heartbreak, and new brilliant corelings. There PoVs were so creepy, and I loved every second of it.
 
I have to admit there was one thing that I didn't really like - Leesha & Jardir's interactions. I wasn't a fan of it the 1st time, and although for quite different reasons now, I still didn't like it, although I loved when Leesha & Inevera tried to best each other!
 
As for the ending, it was awesome. I guess we got two endings in a way. One was with Jardir, Inevera & Leesha vs the mimic demon & the mind demon, which was really good, and the other one which was actually the ending of the book was between Renna & Arlen vs the the mimic demon & the mind demon, and this one was just so awesome, I loved every second of it. It was one of my fav parts in this book. It was just perfect, and it will leave you dying to pick up the next book. 
 
So, do I recommend this book? Yes. If you've read & enjoyed The Painted Man a.k.a The Warded Man, then you will probably enjoy this one, too, so be sure to pick it up, because The Desert Spear is another great book of the Demon Cycle, that will keep you wrapped up in its world.   

 

Challenges:

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment