Jul 22, 2014

"The One Safe Place" by Tania Unsworth


Title: The One Safe Place

Author: Tania Unsworth

Publisher: Algonquin Books

Imprint: Algonquin Young Readers

Publication date: April 29th, 2014
 

My rating: 4 of 5


(Book read from July 2oth to July 22nd, 2014,  from the review copy received from the publisher via NetGalley, in exchange of an honest review.)


Summary:



In this near-future dystopia with echoes of "The Giver" and "Among the Hidden," Tania Unsworth has created an unsettling page-turner fast-paced, smooth, filled with dread that's wholly satisfying and startlingly original.

Devin doesn't remember life before the world got hot; he has grown up farming the scorched earth with his grandfather in their remote valley. When his grandfather dies, Devin heads for the city. Once there, among the stark glass buildings, he finds scores of children, just like him, living alone on the streets. They tell him rumors of a place for abandoned children, with unlimited food and toys and the hope of finding a new family. But only the luckiest get there.

An act of kindness earns Devin an invitation to the home, but it s soon clear that it s no paradise. As Devin investigates the intimidating administrator and the zombie-like sickness that afflicts some children, he discovers the home s horrific true mission. The only real hope is escape, but the place is as secure as a fortress.
     
Fans of dystopian fiction and spine-chilling adventure will devour "The One Safe Place"; its haunting themes will resonate long after readers have turned the final page.
 



My Thoughts on the Book:



The One Safe Place is a beautiful & haunting story. It's one of those bittersweet tales, that will manage to surprise you, and leave you kinda hopeful for the future, even though you might doubt it at the beginning.

I got interested in the story and Devin as a character from the beginning of the book. This book is set in the future, and I'd say it's a mix of post-apocalyptic & dystopian, with a touch of mystery and adventure.

Overall, I rather enjoyed the story, and before it ended, I almost loved it. I guess I loved the way it made me feel when it was over.

Despite the predictability of it (I realised quite early what's going on in the Home), I still enjoyed the characters' adventure of finding out what exactly was happening, why & trying to find a way to save themselves.

I found all the characters quite likable, and before this book ended I adored all the children, and was rooting for them. This book made me laugh, made me smile, made me cry, and broke my heart, but it also filled me with hope, that's why I'm saying it was bittersweet.

I rather enjoyed the writing style, it definitely brought to life the story, the world & the characters, and I'm interested in reading more by Tania Unsworth.

If you enjoy futuristic stories that are just a little bit different, I recommend The One Safe Place.
 
 

Challenges: 


0 comments:

Post a Comment