Jul 19, 2014

"Fanning the Flames" by Victoria Dahl


Title: Fanning the Flames

Author: Victoria Dahl

Series: Jackson: Girls' Night Out, #0.5)

Publisher: Harlequin HQN

Publication date: July 1st, 2014


My rating: 2 of 5


(Novella read on July 11th, 2014,  from the review copy received from the publisher via NetGalley, in exchange of an honest review.)   
  

Summary:



Burning for you

Some men are off-limits. Close friends of your ex-husband, for instance. Or firefighters who work in the same building as you. Yet despite her best judgment, librarian Lauren Foster can't help noticing fire captain Jake Davis whenever he jogs by…shirtless. They've always been friends, but all it takes is one not-so-chance meeting at a local bar and one not-quite-innocent walk home to ignite a fierce, uncontrollable desire between them.
  
Widower Jake Davis has tried to ignore the spark he feels whenever Lauren's around, but once he sees her curves in a little black dress, there's no turning back. No matter how often she says she's all wrong for him, the sexy, outspoken divorcĂ©e is driving him wild in the best possible way. Maybe she's just blowing off steam. Or maybe he can convince her to fan these flames into something deeper, hotter and truer than they ever expected…
   
 


My Thoughts on the Novella:

 
 
I really wanted to enjoy Fanning the Flames, but I'm sorry to say that this story just didn't work for me. I usually enjoy stories when friends fall for each other, so I expected this to be the case. But, I just couldn't connect with the characters, or care about them at all. I didn't like or dislike them, I was just indifferent to them & the story itself, and I can't quite put my finger on why I felt that way.

It wasn't a bad story, but it wasn't good either. Sure, they had their friendship & chemistry going for them, but I just didn't care, so it wasn't a story for me. I always say that the connection or just fondness for the characters in a book plays a big part in the overall enjoyment of a story, and this novella for me was the perfect example of that.

That being said, I think I'll give the series another shot & read the first full-length novel.
 
 
 

Challenges: 


0 comments:

Post a Comment