Apr 13, 2014

"The Purple Girl" by Audrey Kane


Title: The Purple Girl

Author: Audrey Kane

Illustrators: Tory & Norman Taber

Publisher: Wakefield & Quincy Press

Publication date: January 8th, 2014


My rating: 1.5 of 5


(Book read on April 6th, 2014,  from a review copy received from the publisher through NetGalley, in exchange of an honest review.)  


Summary:
  
 
CAUTION! Violet lives within the pages of this book. 
And her purple spreads to everything she touches...

Violet lives behind garden walls. Is she magical? Is she the devil's child-or simply cursed? When the lonely thirteen-year-old embarks on a dangerous journey to find the one boy that dared to befriend her, she travels at night ... in the dark ... to keep people from seeing her purple skin. But no one is more surprised than Violet when she unlocks her mysterious gift.

Go where adventure, discovery and magic meet! 

Although this fun read captures the imagination of middle grade readers, discrimination is at the core of the novel ... but so are possibilities, and they appear everywhere.
  
 


My Thoughts on the Book:

 


I really, really wanted to enjoy The Purple Girl. It actually started quite interesting, but soon the story itself fell apart for me. The story wasn't fun, the characters weren't interesting, and it wasn't imaginative, and that ending, it was just so plain awful. It could've been good, but it wasn't :(

I know that it's supposed to be a book about discrimination, ok, but it felt forced, and a little bit preachy, and the story itself mostly didn't make any sense, and just wasn't good :( Even with such a short read I was thinking about giving up & not finishing it, but in the end I made myself read it until the end.

The only thing I liked about this book were the illustrations. They were quite lovely, and it would've been better if there were more of them.

I can't recommend this book, because it didn't work for me, and I really, really did not like it, and I'm kinda sad about it, but then again, we can't love everything...
  
   

Challenges: 


0 comments:

Post a Comment