Apr 22, 2014

"Dead Silent" by Sharon Jones


Title: Dead Silent

Author: Sharon Jones

Series: Poppy Sinclair, #2

Publisher: Hachette Children's Books

Imprint: Orchard Books

Publication date: February 6th, 2014


My rating: 3 of 5


(Book read on April 21st, 2014,  from a review copy received from the publisher via NetGalley, in exchange of an honest review.)  
 

Summary:



A snow angel etched in blood. An elite society. A secret dying to get out.
​ 
Shrouded in secrets, the truth is murder...
  
When Poppy Sinclair and her boyfriend visit snowy Cambridge, she doesn't expect to discover the body of a student - arms outstretched in the act of smearing bloody angel wings on the chapel's floor.
 
Suddenly, Poppy is faced with the possibility that the one closest to her heart might be the one committing the most malicious of crimes.
 
Dodging porters and police, dreading what she might find, Poppy follows the clues left by a murderer bent on revenge...
 
Long-hidden secrets are chillingly revealed, an avenging angel seeks forgiveness and red-hot vengeance must be quelled in the amazing new Poppy Sinclair thriller.

 

 
 

My Thoughts on the Book:

 
 
Dead Silent is actually the 2nd Poppy Sinclair novel, and I haven't read the first one before delving into this one. But, despite that, I found myself totally wrapped up in the characters & their story from the very beginning. It was like meeting old friends. The author gives us enough info at the beginning so the reader will feel like (s)he knows them, and that's how I felt.

My favorite part about this book was actually the friendship & chemistry between the two main characters - Poppy & Michael. They were just perfect for each other.

As for the story itself, it was interesting. I loved the visual of Cambridge, it felt like I was there, and I loved the mix of history with fiction, it delivered interesting & compelling story that I enjoyed.

I guess I'd say that the first half (or maybe even the two first thirds) of the novel were quite better then the last one. The ending was ok, but I guess the fact that I already knew who the killer was diminished my enjoyment a bit.  

Dead Silent is actually contemporary YA thriller, with a touch of the paranormal. I didn't mind the paranormal flair, though maybe it should've been more present. I guess the author will bring more of that in the next books, this book was more about the relationship between Poppy & her dad, and Poppy & her boyfriend.

I just might go back and read the first book Dead Jealous, and I might pick up the next book in the series. There's just something about Sharon Jones's writing & I want to read more. So, if you enjoy YA mysteries & thrillers, I recommend this enjoyable read.
 
 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment