Apr 11, 2014

"Beauty Awakened" by Gena Showalter


Title: Beauty Awakened

Author: Gena Showalter

Series: Angels of the Dark, #2


My rating: 4.5 of 5


(Book read from April 10th to April 11th, 2014.)  


Summary:



His name is Koldo. He is scarred, powerful, his control legendary-and he lives only for vengeance, determined to punish the angel who viciously removed his wings. But if he yields to the forces of hatred, he will be kicked from the heavens, eternally damned.

She is his last hope. Nicola Lane was born with a defective heart, yet this fragile human shows surprising strength as demons stalk her every move, determined to end her. She is the key to Koldo's deliverance...and his downfall. Though he fights duty, destiny and his first addictive taste of desire, his toughest battle will be the one for Nicola's life-even if he has to sacrifice his own...
 



My Thoughts on the Book:



First of all, I have to mention that I'm a big Gena Showalter fan. There's just something about her books that appeals to me. I know I will be entertained a lot, I know she'll make me care about her characters, despite all of their flaws, and slowly get me hooked on the world she created.

I'm not a big fan of adult paranormal romances. I've tried a lot of the popular authors, but Gena Showalter seems to be the only one that got me addicted to her books, and I keep coming back for more. 
When I read her first Lords of the Underworld book (which wasn't my first Gena Showalter book), I thought that it was fun & the world & the concept was quite interesting, so I gave a shot to the 2nd book, and that's when I got hooked on the characters & the world, and it seems she did the same to me with this spin-off series. 
I'm not a fan of books with angels (no idea why, especially because I love books with demons, and more often than not, they're connected & present in the same books), so I wasn't sure about the Angels of the Dark series. The only reason I read the first book Wicked Nights was because I saw a lot of Zacharel in the Lords of the Underworld series, and I wanted to see what his story will be, though I didn't have big expectations. But, Wicked Nights was actually really good, better than I expected, and I enjoyed it a lot, and I was quite intrigued but one of the other characters (Thane), and his book will be the 3rd one, so I decided I'll read at least that much, and because I'm such a stickler for reading in order, of course I had to read Koldo's story first. And now, I'm totally & absolutely hooked on the series, so yeah, Gena has done it to me again.

Beauty Awakened was Koldo's story, and I pretty much loved every second of it. It wasn't perfect, but it was perfect for Koldo & Nicola, and it just made me feel all happy inside before it was over.

From the beginning, seeing what had happened to Koldo when he was just a sweet little boy, he got himself a special place in my heart, making me wish that he will heal, and just be happy for once. And even though he wasn't perfect, he was possessive & over-protective, and wanted revenge, it wasn't done over the top, and it totally worked for him & his personality, he was actually  sweet and made me like him quite a lot, and love him for Nikola as well.

Nikola was quite a likable character. She's strong (even though she didn't realise how strong she actually is), and she wasn't annoying, or too pushy, or too jealous, and all of that stuff. She was quite perfect for Koldo, and exactly what he needed. From the moment they laid eyes on each other & their first interaction, it kinda clicked for me, and it wasn't love at first sight, I just felt the connection. Weird, right?

Anyway, the story was quite interesting, and I couldn't stop reading. Once again the author has expanded the world (it's quite magnificent, actually), and she made me laugh & smile, and cheer for all the characters, and she broke my heart, and got me interested in all of those secondary characters, wondering whose story she'll decide to tell next. So, yeah, I'm totally hooked on the series now. My favorite new character is Axel, I loved him, he was so funny & entertaining. And then there was a hint about something about him, and yay for that, can't wait! And of course, I can't wait for Burning Dawn, which will be out soon, but in the meantime I have The Darkest Craving to keep me company ;) That's Kane's story, and his mention in this book (as well as William's glimpse), made me excited about delving back into the Lords of the Underworld world.

If you're a fan of entertaining paranormal romances, with haunted & tortured heroes &/or heroines, set in exquisite worlds, full of dangers & action, than Beauty Awakened & the Angels of the Dark & the Lords of the Underworld are the books for you, and I highly recommend them!
 
 
 

Challenges:

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment