Apr 12, 2014

"The Immortal Rules" by Julie Kagawa


Title: The Immortal Rules

Author: Julie Kagawa

Series: Blood of Eden, #1


My rating: 4 of 5


(Book read from March 15th to April 3rd, 2014.)  


Summary:



To survive in a ruined world, she must embrace the darkness… 

Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a walled-in city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten. Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of them — the vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself dies and becomes one of the monsters. 

Forced to flee her city, Allie must pass for human as she joins a ragged group of pilgrims seeking a legend — a place that might have a cure for the disease that killed off most of civilization and created the rabids, the bloodthirsty creatures who threaten human and vampire alike. And soon Allie will have to decide what and who is worth dying for… again. 

Enter Julie Kagawa's dark and twisted world as an unforgettable journey begins.




My Thoughts on the Book:



The Immortal Rules is an interesting post-apocalyptic YA novel. In it we meet Allie. She's a survivor, and to stay alive as long as she did, you have to be able to get by & to be smart about it, but she's also an amazing friend & person.

But, soon, her world turns upside down. She doesn't want to die, so she accepts an offer from a vampire to become one, because obviously, she still wants to live, even as one of the monsters she hates.

The world-building is done quite well. I loved how through Allie's eyes we got to learn about her life as a human (and all the human) in a vampire city, and then about her life as a vampire. There's just something compelling about Allie as a character & about her voice, that made me want to read more.

I also quite liked Kanin as a character & I wish there was more of him. He was interesting one, even though I knew immediately who he is.

The story at times was often quite predictable, but still it didn't diminish my enjoyment, there's just something that will make you want to read more. So, yeah, great characters + good story + great world-building = pretty good book.

Zeke was such a nice & sweet guy. I mean, he's just so good, and hopeful, but almost naive. And than there's Jackal. To be honest, I don't think he's an evil one, but not quite good as well. I'm kinda afraid that there's a love triangle on the horizon, and even though the romance between Allie & Zeke didn't quite work for me (and I didn't really care about it, it was more like I felt sorry for Zeke, and a tiny bit about Allie), I don't really want a love triangle, but still I will continue the series, because I'm interested in seeing what will happen next, especially with Kanin.

Also, I have to point out how different this book is from The Iron King. I wasn't a fan of that book. The idea of the Iron Fey was quite interesting, but the not so interesting story & unlikable characters didn't do it for me, and if you felt about it the same, still give The Immortal Rules a try, because it's much, much better, so I recommend it!
 
 
 

Challenges:

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment