Aug 25, 2014

"Rose and the Magician's Mask" by Holly Webb


Title: Rose and the Magician's Mask
 
Author: Holly Webb
 
Series: Rose, #3
 
Publisher: Sourcebooks Jabberwocky
 
Publication date: September 2nd, 2014
 
 
My rating: 5 of 5
 
 
(Book read on August 14th to August 15th, 2014,  from a review copy received from the publisher via NetGalley, in exchange of an honest review.) 
  
 

Summary:


 
Rose is now a fully fledged magician's apprentice-will her new magic be enough to find the dangerous magician's mask?

When a precious mask of unimaginable power is stolen from the royal palace, Rose suspects that dark magicians are at work and that danger looms. The race to stop the evil thieves will take Rose to the mysterious city of Venice, where nothing is quite what it seems. Can Rose use her magic to find the terrible mask before its true powers are revealed?
 
 


My Thoughts on the Book:



Rose and the Magician's Mask is a wonderful middle grade novel, full of wonder, magic, whimsy, danger, humour, mystery & historical elements. And on top of that, the cast of characters in the series is quite wonderful & lovable, so what more can you wish for?

I'm a big fan of the Rose series. Actually, it became one of my favorites now, and I don't want it to end, EVER. But, unfortunately, there's only one more book to go: Rose and the Silver Ghost, and even though I'm sad it will be over, at the same time I'm dying to read it. I can't wait to finally find out who exactly Rose is, and I loved the hint we got in this book.
 
In Rose and the Magician's Mask, Mr. Fountain, Rose, Bella, Freddie, Gus & Bill face another dangerous mystery - the mysterious & powerful Magician's Mask has been stolen, and who's behind it? Who else, but the villain(s) from the previous book. Now, they must race to Venice to retrieve the dangerous mask & stop the thieves from becoming even more powerful & dangerous by absorbing the mask's powers...
 
I found the story to be quite interesting & entertaining, and loved every second of it. I also adored the setting - the Venice the author imagined was quite mysterious & magical, and probably a wonder to see. I'd love to visit that Venice.

And once again I adored the characters. From the quirky Mr. Fountain, to the spoiled Bella, the talking magical cat Gus, the grumpy Freddie, the non-magical Bill & the amazing Rose - I loved them all. All of them had gotten under my skin, despite their faults & I don't think I'll ever get enough of them. I also love the friendship between them, and the way they're always there for each other. Actually, no, they're a family, a wonderful family.

The ending was awesome, and full of surprises, and full of danger, and kinda cool. Definitely a satisfying ending to this wonderful book.

I highly recommend Rose and the Magician's Mask, as well as the Rose series to every fan of fantasy, no matter the age. I would've adored the series as a little girl, then again - I adore it now as an adult, so I can't recommend it enough!
 
 
 

Challenges: 


0 comments:

Post a Comment