Oct 31, 2011

#124 - "Waking Hours" by Lis Wiehl (ARC)


Title: Waking Hours

Author: Lis Wiehl

Series: East Salem, Book 1

Publisher: Thomas Nelson

Pages: 320

ISBN: 9781595549402

Read on October 6th-7th, 2011 from e-copy acquired from NetGalley!

My rating: 3 of 5

Summary:
All towns have secrets. Some have demons.
Welcome to East Salem. A sleepy town with a history older than America where things are just a bit off. Where the supernatural bleeds into the everyday.
And where a tragic murder mystery is underway. A high school girl is found dead in the town park. And where forensic psychiatrist Dani Harris wants answers. All the suspects are teenagers who were at the party with her the night before-but who woke up the next morning with no memory of what transpired. Even though evidence confirms they were all at the scene of the crime.
Former pro-football linebacker-and local celebrity-Tommy Gunderson finds himself drawn to the case. And to Dani-who he last spoke with on their one high school date forever ago. Yet his celebrity status opens doors barred to Dani-so they form an awkward alliance.
They soon realize that there's more to the mystery than murder. And more to the evil they are facing than a mere human killer.

My thoughts on the book:
Waking Hours had lots of potential. It started  quite good & mysterious. Although it wasn't really creepy or scary, it had a few moments that creeped out. It got me really interested & it was a fast read, and at first I enjoyed it a lot, I liked the storyline a lot & I liked the characters, but in the end it just didn't deliver. The first half of the book was much better than the second half. I could easily see how the book will end & what will happen next, so no surprises there. Also, although I usually don't care if there is or isn't romance in the book, I was annoyed that after all that build up & chemistry between Dani & Tommy, nothing happened, I mean not even one kiss. It just felt like halfway through the book, the author changed her mind & decided to take the story in a little different direction, and I don't mean the romance, I mean with everything in the book. That's how it felt to me. Overall, it's not a bad book, it's ok & overall I liked it, but I can't really recommend it. I definitely won't read this one again & I probably won't read the sequel, too. In the end, I guess this wasn't a book for me...

Challenges:

0 comments:

Post a Comment