Nov 9, 2011

#137 - Dark Inside" by Jeyn Roberts (ARC)


Title: Dark Inside 

Author: Jeyn Roberts

Series: Book 1

Book read from October 25th to November 1st, 2011, from e-copy acquired from Simon & Schuster GalleyGrab!

My rating: 4.5 of 5

Summary:
Since mankind began, civilizations have always fallen: the Romans, the Greeks, the Aztecs. Now it's our turn. Huge earthquakes rock the world. Cities are destroyed. But something even more awful is happening. An ancient evil has been unleashed, turning everday people into hunters, killers, crazies.

Mason's mother is dying after a terrible car accident. As he endures a last vigil at her hospital bed, his school is bombed and razed to the ground, and everyone he knows is killed. Aries survives an earthquake aftershock on a bus, and thinks the worst is over when a mysterious stranger pulls her out of the wreckage, but she's about to discover a world changed forever. Clementine, the only survivor of an emergency town hall meeting that descends into murderous chaos, is on the run from savage strangers who used to be her friends and neighbors. And Michael witnesses a brutal road rage incident that is made much worse by the arrival of the police--who gun down the guilty party and then turn on the bystanding crowd.

Where do you go for justice when even the lawmakers have turned bad? These four teens are on the same road in a world gone mad. Struggling to survive, clinging on to love and meaning wherever it can be found, this is a journey into the heart of darkness - but also a journey to find each other and a place of safety.

 My thoughts on the book:
Ok, so I downloaded this one from my Simon & Schuster GalleyGrab e-mail. I just read the 1st paragraph of the summary, sounded good & I downloaded it. So, although before I start reading a book, I usually read the summary, this time I didn't, I just start reading it & I have to admit that the first 3rd of the book freaked me out. I mean, in that part happens everything that is described in  the second paragraph of the summary. The author describes what happens to every main character from their point of view alternately. There are 4 main characters: Mason, Aries, Clementine & Michael. So, I've read plenty of apocalyptic & post-apocalyptic books, & this one is the first that freaked me out. But, I still loved every second of it. There's lots of suspense in this book, the story is really good, great characters, good pacing & plenty of surprises & I got tears in my eyes more than once. My favourite character without a doubt was Mason. Also, I think I know who is the "5th" narrator & although I don't want to be right, I'll just have to wait & see. Other than that, I don't want to go into details, but I can't recommend it enough & I can't wait for the sequel. This one is now on my must-buy list.
  
Challenges:

0 comments:

Post a Comment