Oct 5, 2014

"Mary: The Summoning" by Hillary Monahan

  
Title: Mary: The Summoning
 
Author: Hillary Monahan
 
Series: Bloody Mary, #1
 
Publisher: Disney Book Group
 
Imprint: Hyperion
 
Publication date: September 2nd, 2014
 
 
My rating: 4 of 5
 
 
(Book read on October 1st-4th, 2014,  from the review copy received from the publisher via NetGalley, in exchange of an honest review.)  


Summary:


There is a right way and a wrong way to summon her.

Jess had done the research. Success requires precision: a dark room, a mirror, a candle, salt, and four teenage girls. Each of them--Jess, Shauna, Kitty, and Anna--must link hands, follow the rules . . . and never let go.

A thrilling fear spins around the room the first time Jess calls her name: "Bloody Mary. Bloody Mary. BLOODY MARY." A ripple of terror follows when a shadowy silhouette emerges through the fog, a specter trapped behind the mirror.

Once is not enough, though--at least not for Jess. Mary is called again. And again. But when their summoning circle is broken, Bloody Mary slips through the glass with a taste for revenge on her lips. As the girls struggle to escape Mary's wrath, loyalties are questioned, friendships are torn apart, and lives are forever altered.

A haunting trail of clues leads Shauna on a desperate search to uncover the legacy of Mary Worth. What she finds will change everything, but will it be enough to stop Mary--and Jess--before it's too late?





My Thoughts on the Book:


Mary: The Summoning is a YA horror book about Bloody Mary, of course. And it was definitely a good one. It's definitely a satisfying horror novel, and highly entertaining, yet also so heartbreaking. So, yes, I loved it! It was so, so good!

First of all, I have to point out that this cover is absolutely perfect for the book & the story inside. But, what I actually loved the most in this book was the author's writing style. Hillary Monahan definitely has a knack for writing creepy & eerie haunting scenes, that actually feel quite realistic. That was unexpected, but so awesome! So yes, she has the skills, and I can't wait to read more books by her, both from the Bloody Mary series, and anything else she writes.

The story was interesting, and it was so entertaining. I won't go into details, but I loved Mary's story (so heartbreaking), and I loved the letters, loved the danger, loved the horror, and had lots of fun while reading this story, though I admit I shed my share of tears, too, and I can't wait for more.

Most of the characters were quite likable, with the exception of Jess. I especially really liked Shauna as a character, as for Jess, from the beginning I really disliked her, and yes, she's a bitch, and I loved to hate her, and in the end, she got what she deserved. It was a satisfying ending, yet I don't want her to die, so go figure ;) I'll have to wait & see what will happen next. But, I was happy with the ending!

Anyway, this book totally creeped me out. As I said, the haunting scenes were so awesome & realistic to me. I definitely wouldn't want to be in their place if that was happening, probably would've lost my mind ;) Mary is so evil & mad & crazy, and one scary ghost.

So, do I recommend Mary: The Summoning? Yes, I highly recommend it to fans of YA horror books. It's highly entertaining, creepy & full of awesome hauntings. 
 
 
 

Challenges: 


0 comments:

Post a Comment