Feb 25, 2014

"Shadowdance" by Kristen Callihan


Title: Shadowdance

Author: Kristen Callihan

Series: Darkest London, #4

Publisher: Grand Central Publishing

Imprint: Forever

Publication date: December 17th, 2013


My rating: 4 of 5


(Book read from February 8th to February 17th, 2014,  from an eARC received from the publisher through NetGalley, in exchange of an honest review.)  
 
 

Summary:



Once a heart is lost in shadow... 

Life has been anything but kind to Mary Chase. But the Society for the Suppression of Supernaturals has given her purpose. Now she's been tasked with catching a vicious murderer dubbed the Bishop of Charing Cross. But someone is already on the case—and the last thing he relishes is a partner.

Only someone who lives in darkness can find it.

Jack Talent has been alone with his demons for many years. He never expected to have the willful Mary Chase assist him on the Bishop case. Their age-old rivalry reaches new heights—even as their desire for one another reaches a fever pitch. Though he aches to bring her close, Jack's dark secrets are a chasm between them. With dangerous enemies closing in, Jack must find the strength to face the past...or risk losing Mary forever.
   
 
  

My Thoughts on the Book:



First of all, I have to point out that I've had mixed feelings when it comes to the Darkest London series. I loved the first book Firelight, as well as its prequel Ember, but when it comes to the following books, some parts of them I liked, some I disliked, even hated, and to be honest, I'm not overall sold to the world. But, since they've been available to be read on NetGalley, I've kept reading them, and finally I really liked another book in the series - Shadowdance.

What I liked the most about it are the main characters & their story. I've already met them before, and after everything they've been through, I wanted to see them getting a HEA, and I wanted to see they get it together, and this time it totally worked for me, which was a change compared to the previous two books.

I won't go into details about the story, but I think that it should at least be read the previous book before reading this one, though everything is explained. It was really heartbreaking what happened to Jack before, and to be honest, even though it wasn't the best coping method, I totally cheered him on ;) I wanted him to heal, and I wanted for him to get his revenge.

And than there's Mary Chase. I actually started to quite like her, she's a great heroine, and she can be bad-ass, and she's loyal, protective, and pretty much awesome about what she did. I guess I'm all about protecting the one you love, even from themselves.

Their chemistry & interactions were quite good, and they're perfect for each other in their own way.

As for the story, there weren't really any surprises in it for me, but once again the author has expanded the world. As I said, I can't say that it actually works for me, and I can't quite point out why, I just don't like it, but she really had created an interesting world.

If you're a fan of the Darkest London series, then you wouldn't want to miss reading Shadowdance, so I recommend it. As for me, I'm actually interested now in reading the next book Evernight, which will be Holly & Will Thorne's story. Will Thorne is a character I'm quite intrigued by, especially now after what happened to him in Shadowdance, so I'm really looking forward to reading this book!
 
 
 

 Challenges:

 

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to hear that this book makes you want to continue with the series. :)

    ReplyDelete